xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Vorly

Review My Homepage-banner

Posted Image

This will be the banner of my homepage. I made it in half an hour so it's kind of "cheap". That diagonal line drove me crazy because I couldn't get it look smooth. But what do you think?

PS: I used the GIMP :P

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

For me, doing that in half an hour would be calling you a genius already. I'm not sure how to rate this. The banner looks pretty fancy but you gotta look at how and where you wanna put it on the site. What kind of theme will the site be based on. Right now i gotta say by its own would be hmm.... 7/10? The numbers and letters need to be a touch brighter although i know what kind of effect you're trying to make. The tennisboy background looks great and gives you a feeling of victory. Overall, by my standards i would give it an A. Oh and by the way, what is GIMP?

I'm personally not too crazy about the choice of colors (my site is teal and lime green Lol) And I agree with techocian, the text is a little hard to read. I have horrible eyesight, so without pressing my nose to the screen, all I see is black blur. Try making the text a little larger in font, possibly bolded, and then try adding a 1 or 2 pixel white stroke with an overlay blending mode.Other than that, great work! I'll be posting up a link to my site here in a few, don't forget to stop by and return the ccq :P

First of all: thanks for the comments.I'll make the text brighter and stroke it when I'm at home and post it later. Here in school the banner seems to be way darker than on my computer at home :P Anyway, the homepage will be about Esperanto, GFX, and other stuff related to me.P.S. Gimp's kind of an equivalent to Photoshop. Since I'm a Linuxer I have to use it (which doesn't mean I am not satisfied with it)

You're quite welcome, and best of luck to you! If you would like a little "revenge" for my comments, here's your shot :P

So, I've stroken the text now and brightened the whole banner a little bit.

Ver. 1 (unbrightened):

Posted Image

Ver. 2 (brightened):

Posted Image

The brightened one looks kind of :P on my screen but it's up to you.

That looks a lot better, I personally think you should stick with the brightened image. With the darker one, the stroke (which actually looks more like an outer glow) made the text look blurred. I also have horrible vision, so it gave me a headache :/ But the brightened version is a little less strenuous to read, and you can also see the detail of the brushwork and opacity changes a lot better. Great job :P

Vorly: don't you think that it's a bit too large for banner...? well ok, if it's a part of homepage's theme, but, anyway people dont like to wait for large images to download... as for the banner - it very nice, if you made it that fast I could say pretty good job, 8/10. but for that diagonal line - I think its not usefull... It look's really kind a cheap, and there is no way to make it straight, except to put that banner in flash and put it embeded into a closed vector box, in a shape of a banner... if you know what I mean...

I agree. I like the Ver. 2 (brightened) because in the Ver. 1 it is kind of hard to see the images in the background but in Ver. 2 it is much easier to see the images. Also Ver. 1 is kind of "hard on the eyes" (or at least for mine it is) while Ver. 2 is much easier on the eyes. But I would remove the white glow around the text and just make the text a solid black. I would also like to say that if you did this banner in half hour I would have to say that you did a really nice job. I know many Graphic Designers who would never be able to do that kind of work in a half hour. So again good job.

Yeah the bright one is nice looking,,! But instead of the cut right side below u can make a curl effect in illustrator.! As i donno much About Photoshop.! IT wud look better 3d banner then.! Also if possible make the upper Gficko background with More lighter one.. By using fine brighter gradient lines on that background.! Well u have made it really nice .! Appreciate ur hardwork.! :P Dont change anything more than i said.! As Everything else looks really great.!8/10 for this banner.! :P

Thanks for the comments (again :P )!@finaldesign: Yeah, i know it's kinda big - but I don't want to shorten it because it looks way worse when I do it my way :P For the diagonal line: I like it because it's not that conventional :P So I don't want to change it and I don't know much about Flash...@rhodesian.dragon: I don't really know what's "solid black". And I didn't fire up the Gimp and started from scratch. I've already known what it should look like (school's a great place to think about such things :P ). So I just had to do some mouse-clicks.@Casanova: I don't understand anything you've written :P