xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jet

Utilitarian Phone

Nokia, Samsung and Sony Ericsson are developing a new phone, with utilitarian capabilities as well as normal phone ones. This next generation of hybrid phones will have cameras with up to 2 megapixels of resolution and music players with up to 4 GB of storage. And the phone is meant to be no bigger than an iPod. Like PDA's, it also has a digital assisstant and wireless internet capabilites and perhaps more complex games.I understood utilitarian to mean Swiss-army-knife type utilitarian, but I suppose this would be utilitarian in the digital world sense. The price for the first models of those hybrid utilitarian phones are expected to be between $300 and $800, but will drop after they become more commonplace.The companies are working hard on this, and Motorolla and Apple are teaming up to produce an "iPod phone". Samsung released the MMA800 in May, the first phone with a 2 megapixel camera, and a music player with 512mb. Other models are due to be released soon, especially Nokia's new N series with a 4gb memory (same as mini iPod).

I understood utilitarian to mean Swiss-army-knife type utilitarian, but I suppose this would be utilitarian in the digital world sense. The price for the first models of those hybrid utilitarian phones are expected to be between $300 and $800, but will drop after they become more commonplace.

:P ..if what you say is true, then I must thrown my Ipod in the trash :Pit very expensive ,especially in morocco it will be between 500$ and 1000$, this things of technology it arrives here 6 month or 9 month after released in USA ,

i think my cellphone & my iPod it work well !
Edited by aminzzlink (see edit history)

Yeah, I can agree with that. I think Motorola has a phone which can smell (and distinguish between normal foodstuffs and dangerous gasses). I think in future people will have a little phone type electronic device which enables you to connect with the world.. Just a random note, in Japan phones can be used to scan beef at the supermarket. Then you can get a history of your animal, a picture of it before it was slaughtered and a picture of the farmer dude who owned it before selling it to the abattoir. "It's OK honey, I know you prefer black coloured cows".

seriously i dont get these things. when was i when cellphones are just cellphones? namean? last i checked, cellphones are used to communicate with others not to listen to music or take pictures. these things are getting too out of control.

Multi-purpose phones are nice, but it reminds me of multi-purpose electronic devices where one part fails and you're stuck with a huge repair bill.When you buy a television, do you buy one that has a built-in dvd player-recorder and vhs player? A repair guy I know said that when you buy all in one devices like that, you may as well plan on something breaking and the whole thing needing repair. It is cheaper to work on a dvd player or a vhs player than to work on the whole enchillada.When it comes to cell phones, they have already gotten into more areas than we could have imagined a few years ago. On the news recently, I saw video clips taken from a cell phone. The clarity wasn't that good, but it was video.I know the Swiss Army knife is pretty cool. Now the more gadgets on that knife, the larger it is. How can this new utiliarian phone be so small and do so much?Technology is just so incredible. It's great to be around now, isn't it?

all advances made in the cellfone department are most welcome, but i think that people will still have need ofs ipods or psps or even PCs.while a cellfone mite one day be able to do all of the above, it can do each of the above tasks better than the original.....i wud much prefer to watch my movies or play my games on the big screen. a cool huge music player with super big speakers wud be much better than a cellfone with 4GB data space too.plus, let us say that a cellfone comes with space for data, PDA, video games etc its not fair to call it a cellphone anymore....the technology and achievement is equally shared among all departments. technology today is not evolving out of ever better cellfone, it is incorporating them into itself

Multi-purpose phones are nice, but it reminds me of multi-purpose electronic devices where one part fails and you're stuck with a huge repair bill.

When you buy a television, do you buy one that has a built-in dvd player-recorder and vhs player? A repair guy I know said that when you buy all in one devices like that, you may as well plan on something breaking and the whole thing needing repair. It is cheaper to work on a dvd player or a vhs player than to work on the whole enchillada.

When it comes to cell phones, they have already gotten into more areas than we could have imagined a few years ago. On the news recently, I saw video clips taken from a cell phone. The clarity wasn't that good, but it was video.

I know the Swiss Army knife is pretty cool. Now the more gadgets on that knife, the larger it is. How can this new utiliarian phone be so small and do so much?

Technology is just so incredible. It's great to be around now, isn't it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree with this (about mulitpurpose technology) I think that the more the phone has to offer, the more probable that it will break. Especially in the beginning stages. I say if you're going to get one... wait until they've been around longer and the price drops. why spend so much money on something cuz it's brand new technology and then spend so much more to get it fixed? that's just my perspective... not to bring anyone down... I love technology as much as the next techno-geek, but i still think it's better to be safe than sorry...

I find it amusing that nowadays when there is a photo opportunity, how many people actually just pull out their handphones and take a picture. I mean, technology has gotten to a point that people stare at me when I pull out my old film manual camera to take a photo. Though, in the end, I have a phone that plays MP3s and takes pictures and plays video, but do I actually use the functions? O_o. No. I just use it for taking an making calls and messenging. That's all. Utilitarian phones would be a waste on me.I sure hope they'd still make simple phones for people like me... =_=