xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Asphinx

CD-RW Drive Blues My CD RW drive always creates errors

I seem to be having a bit of hardware trouble...my HP DVD-ROM/CD writer is producing arrors when burning CD-RWs at even the slowest speeds when using memorex CD-RWs and the CD writing wizard that came with windows. so my question to you is this:Is this a problem with the brand of CD, or is there an underlying problem that I should be aware of?please help!Asphinx

I did a quick search and there are a lot of topics online about errors while using a Memorex brand cd media. Have you tried another brand to see if the problem is the Memorex brand?It is always best to try several brands since some burners seem to favor one brand over another.What program are you using to burn?

I seem to be having a bit of hardware trouble...my HP DVD-ROM/CD writer is producing arrors when burning CD-RWs at even the slowest speeds when using memorex CD-RWs and the CD writing wizard that came with windows. so my question to you is this:

Is this a problem with the brand of CD, or is there an underlying problem that I should be aware of?

please help!

Asphinx

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have had similiar problems on a fairly new CD-RW but was installed on a 5+yr old COMPAQ Desktop (7998). Originally I thought the CD-RW had gone to "CD-HEAVEN". I had been giving the CD-RW a workout the past few days burning about 150+ cds. It then started to crap out and copy one or two and not copy at all. Fortunately I had another desktop so I used it. A few weeks later a buddy came over and one thing let to another and I told him about my CD-RW problem. He opened up the box and LO and BEHOLD, it was covered in fine dust balls, etc. He took out the drives, fans, everything and with a small vaccum either sucked or blew everything. Put everythiing back together and the CD-RW worked and hs continued to work since. SO OPEN UP YOUR BOX AND GIVE IT A THOROUGH CLEANING. :P

i use memorex cds and don't have problems with them. what program are you using to burn them with? if you have a bunch of media programs, sometimes they bash against each other. i'm not saying this is your problem, but you never know. i agree with cleaning the burner. that never hurts.what type of cds are you burning? when i had my old comp, it used to funk up during burn sessions at least 45% of the time when i made audio cds. mp3 or data cds weren't a problem.

The only problem I have with my drive sometimes is that sometimes it can't read after burning. AFter I burn, and put in a cd/dvd, it doesn't read it, just says it's a blank disc when it's not. Even though I restarted it, it still says that. It just randomly comes back or something. I wonder if there's a reason to this?

The only problem I have with my drive sometimes is that sometimes it can't read after burning.  AFter I burn, and put in a cd/dvd, it doesn't read it, just says it's a blank disc when it's not.  Even though I restarted it, it still says that.  It just randomly comes back or something.  I wonder if there's a reason to this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It probably isn't finalizing the disc when you burn it... and it won't be able to be read by any media reader of any sort. Either that or you just get unlucky sometimes and are having dodgy burns... try different brand CD's, different burning software or different burning speeds.

i say it's a laser head problem. i had the same thing before, and took it in, they said the head was out of whack. was cheaper to buy another instead. or first try setting it as the secondary IDE master, and see if it makes a difference

You should always try different media when getting an error message. Memorex isn't supposed to do well with Apple computers, according to their tech people.I was told that one should never clean the optical drive, but there are many products available to clean the laser area of the cd or dvd drive. Does anyone know about them?Hope you were able to get this fixed. Let us know.