xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tseng

Rpg Maker Series Details about the rpgmaker series for pc

The following is a list of the different makers and other info:

-----From the several links on http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ -----szupie

>RPG maker 95- is an RPG creating and editing program originally made in japanese but now has been translated and is fully usable to the public. The program of course, allows you to create your own Role playing games, in the style of Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy. There are 4 tilesets included, which are used to create the towns, maps, etc.., which can be later edited by hand or added with different ones . You can change everything from magic spells how much damage they do to the name of towns aswell as stats and pictures of all monsters you choose. The RPG maker 95 uses mainly MIDIs and WAVs for the sound.

>Rpg Maker 2000 (2k)-Role playing game creating and editing program Rpg Maker2000 is the successor to Rpg Maker 95. Rpg Maker 2000 is in Full English. You must get the RTP Package also from any rpg maker program download page if you wish to make games with preset monsters, chara sets, tilesets, battle screens and animations, and the system graphics, and some music. Basically its all fairly straight forward, you can learn more about it and how to use it by reading the ReadMe and the FAQ's on how to use the program.

>RPG Maker 2003- was released by Enterbrain - now no more a subsidiary of ASCII, but an independent company - on 2002-12-18. It is more or less an upgrade to RPG Maker 2000, and to a certain degree backwards compatible. You can import RM2k games into RM2k3. As soon as you edit them in any way however, they will run no more under the old program.

If you are looking for resources like chipsets or charsets, or for tutorials dealing with the basics or even with advanced game mechanics, you should head over to the RPG Maker 2000 section, since none of this has changed. The only real new resources are battle charsets (of which there are still few), and the only thing that was really changed is the battle system. And even here, all the old battle events still work.

In general, I do not recommend switching to RM2k3, unless you want to buy it (a commendable motivation), or you really, really, absolutely want to have a Final Fantasy-type, side-view, action turn based battle system. I will outline my thoughts on this subject at a later date, right now I have just gathered all the information I could find.

>Rpg Maker XP-With the newest RPG Maker product, you can make a better RPG than ever! With an interface similar to that of other RPG Maker products, RPG Maker XP carries forward the RPG Maker series's reputation for approachability. Modelled after RPG Maker 2000, the map and battle graphics, as well as the included premade graphics, have been upgraded. By popular demand, this edition introduces new "scripting features". Now both beginners and advanced users can get the most out of RPG Maker!

Minimum System Requirements

OS: Windows 98 / 98SE / ME / 2000 / XP Japanese Version

CPU: Intel PentiumIII 800MHz or better

RAM: 128MB or more

Video: 1024x768 High Color

Sound: DirectSound Compatible card

Hard Drive Space: 100MB or more

They are still planning for Rpg MAker 3D for PC and I anticipate that it will be better than Rpg Maker 2 on PS2. Because you can get better (and more) resources than the pre-loaded crap on the Sony version. Lets just hope it gets translated soon. And if anyone gets info on the new maker please PM me.

-----Please use the quotes tag for quoted material-----szupie

Edited by szupie (see edit history)

RPG Maker XP is a nice tool: highish-res 2D graphics and lots of flexibility. It's a shame that ASCII cracked down on fan translators / hackers, yet never bothered to release an official English version.

I have RM2K.... very interesting.... of course.... Im too stupid to actually do much in it....... oh well...... Some RTP packs let you truly make a FF side-view game.... FF music in MIDI form to take up a tiny amount of space and so well done, it is even interesting to put in a playlist. :P

I would disagree somewhat with that. If you're looking to make an SNES-style 2D RPG, RPG Maker 2K(3) is much nicer than Game Maker and much easier than C++. It may require more coding than a Game Maker game, but the results can be as good as anything on the 16-bit consoles.

rm2k rm2k3 rm95 and xp are the ones i was able to tryi havent been that used to the xp version and now the 3d one comes out~it looks cool and i guess ill be waiting forthat to come out~as for now, ill stick with 2003/2000 since i only do games as a pasttime :D

Really cool program, tooled with it for a few days and promptly figured out how hard it is to make a videogame and gave up from there. I have alot of respect for those game developers...something I've always wanted to do since childhood.

RPG Maker 3D is for PC! Its RPG Maker 3 thats for PS2. Actually theres already a version of RPG Maker 3D out in Japan. I have tested it but its hard to understand anything when its in japaneese. The 3D wont look great, everything will look kinda like Ragnarok Online, 3D background and sprite characters. Thats how it is so far.

Sorry, necropost.If your looking for the best RPG Maker, go with version XP. It may not have the side battle system but with the script editor, you can edit it to get a turn based side battle system. If you don't know Ruby script, there are many websites that have scripts, graphics, audio and other fun stuff for RPG Maker XP. If your serious about making a 2d RPG with a pre-made engine, try the free trial. If that doesn't deture you, buy the program and go crazy. I'm here if people want some help with the RPG Maker programs. I've use all of them except version 95.