xisto Community
moonwitch1405241479

Making Network For Data Transfer between old pc and new pc.

Well, I assume just about everyone has heard me shout about my new computer, which will be here soon. But the issue is that I have a lot of data on a partition on my old pc (the one I am using right now). I want to transfer the data from this pc's HD (which is a laptop) to the new one (desktop). I know I can easily do that by connecting them by their network cards. But still I have a few questions.Firstly I'll give you the main specs of the "host" pc and the "receiving" pc.Host pc : IBM Thinkpad 390E, PII333MHz, 256MB RAM, 12GB HD @ 4500RPM. This pc runs Windows 2000 Pro.Receiving pc : AMD Athlon64 3400+, 120GB HD @ 7200RPM, 1024MB RAM running Windows XP Pro.Of course both are equipped with a network card LOL, that's the basic eh?But now my questions? Can I make a network, which is just temporary, between XP and 2k? I have a few network cables here, but there's all Crossed... well half crossed LOL only one side is crossed the other is (how else) straight. But the issue is, can I connect the pc's on a different method to transfer about 4GB or data and all that. I have a router, but only has ONE connection for a pc.... Any suggestions? (other then making a new network cable.. because I don't have the stripper and the RJ45 connector I think)

If, as you say, one side of the ethernet cable is crossed, in other words it is a crossover cable, then it should be able to directl connect your two computers without the router. You can then set up a network easily between xp and 2k, if you need to by running the network setup wizard on xp and fiollowing its instructions. That should allow for around 100Mbps data transfer.~Viz

Well, that's comforting to know :lol: 100Mbps is good since it's a lot LOL. Well, I went by my old textbook on hardware. Basically I have 2 LONG network cables to connect the NIC with the router/cablemodem. The issue is that I can't read my handwriting that well (heh, it's been 4 yrs). I'll just give it a shot. For now I'll pray that I can go get that comp sooner than Tuesday :lol: And then I'll pray for the cable transfer thing.

If you can't get the computers to talk to each other (to recognize the netowrk) make sure your cable is this kind. Oh, and XP has a nifty system for transferring settings and files, but I don't remember what it is called, windows should try and help you with it or you can find it easily in the windows help.

~Viz