xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Moody

Site Offline Is there a maintance or something?

Like 15 minutes ago, my site was online and everything was working fine, but then my site suddenly went offline, and i can't acces my cpanel either, anyone knows whats wrong here? Is there a maintance or is this a bug??thanks in advance,

Like 15 minutes ago, my site was online and everything was working fine, but then my site suddenly went offline, and i can't acces my cpanel either, anyone knows whats wrong here? Is there a maintance or is this a bug??

thanks in advance,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You gotta get used with this kind of problem, as there isn't any stability at Xisto... sad but true. :lol:

Its down for me as well... :lol:Quite annoying, whenver I really badly need to access my site, it goes down. But the service here is so much better here than at any other free hosting providers.

I'm happy cus my site is on again, I hope this is not happening to much, but I will inform the visitors of my site that this can happen. It's not a big problem, i'm very happy that this service stays free.

Well, I've been hosted on my ISP's servers, twice as a matter of fact, been on 50megs, been on Angelfire, Lycos, Geocities, Freewebs etc.. In my time here, I think it's now several months, I've had 2 downtimes on my site (it is hosted on the same servers as yours). Once was due to a server upgrade, and the other was due to the Hard Disk Failure. Both can occur on every server, even on your own computer.I also admin on ipbgaming, to which I have full access (cpanel and the entire thing), that site is hosted on paid servers, it hasnt seen more or less downtime than my own sites (it has been down a few times due to running out of bandwidth).But to say Xisto is very unreliable.... that just hurts. Because I (just as other admins and mods) spend a huge part of my day here, reading EVERYONEs posts, looking into issues, working on skins, trying to improve the forums. Trying to get the load of opaQue just so he can focus on coding and server maintenance.I can understand it is not fun to have your site up, and then it's down. But we can't garantee 100% uptime, because it's simply impossible. Think about what "could" go wrong on a computer? A zillion things can.. Remember that every server IS a computer. The Xisto team does what they do in their free time, we don't get paid, we just are here. Meh, it just hurts to read that people see Xisto as very unreliable, while they have only been here for a little while. And that little while just happens to be that time where we are changing a lot... When we are changing this forum, to meet YOUR wishes better...When a site is down and the admin who can check into it (Nils, M^e or OpaQue - for server issues opaQue is THE guy), they do try to solve it as fast as possible. But it's not just one issue that is dealt with. There's questions, upgrades, approval of hosting, moderating, weeding out spam posts, checking if posts are plagiarized, answering pms.... We are only human, and a server is only a computer...

I've never said, this sever is very unreliable. And i'm very happy that you admins do so much just for us. I like this host very much. Of course you can't give 100% uptime. Paid servers can't either. I just wanted to know if it happens frequently, but if i may believe you, and i do believe you, this server is very stabil.So thanks all the admins and other peoples working on this forum and hosting site, for giving us so much for free.

Reliability comes with a price Flamy. These people are giving you something for free which they have had to work hard on to provide. They are nice people and nice people deserve nice words when you give your comments, don't they?

Of course you must be able to express yourself, but why not use "just a little bit", instead of a blunt "very", that way readers can get your message and the people who provide you with things to play with don't feel so hurt for being generous with you.

On the Main page Xisto guarantees 99.5% uptime, thats 43.8 hours which is less than 2 days accumulated downtime, out of the possible 365 day year.

I wouldnt say Xisto was un reliable. It occurs on all web hosting servers. Geocities, Angelfire, Tripod, t35 and there are many reasons that your site will go offline,you may run out of bandwidth,the server is closed down for maitnence of upgradesAll those sorts of things make your website go offline.

My site is down right now too :P. I'm hoping it doesn't stay down for too long. I've only been with Xisto for a couple weeks so far and I like the service that I get especialy considering it doesn't cost a thing. I would recommend Xisto to anyone who wants free web hosting and I understand the fact that there are serverside problems every now and then and I'd rather have 99% uptime with these features than 100% uptime with geocities or any other advertisement based free web hosting.

My website's down right now too now... Somehow it just happens. I'm timing it on how long it takes to get back online.Timed: 7 minutes, not bad!I finally found out why the servers are sometimes down... They reboot sometimes, maybe when there's an error or something. Cpanel: Last reboot 23min, 0usersmin

Yep - that's almost always the case. Maximum downtime - on some rare occasions - is about an hour - unless of course, like recent times when the hdd on Rhino crashed. That took around 4-5 days to fix, with the whole data being shifted to another server (Panda). But otherwise most of the "Site not working" panic messages you'll see floating around - gets resolved on their own under 15 minutes.. and sometimes its a routing problem. Most of us use trashy cheap broadband routers, which cannot map the paths well, if a link between the regular route goes down. That's where cisco like routers excell - by immediately finding alternate routes..Regards,m^e