xisto Community
tashie

Does Anyone Know How To Make Those Graphic Icons like.. 100x100 pixels.. or something?

they're everywhere you look.... especially on the journal sites, i can't find a tutorial or anything on them, does anyone know of a tutorial or know how exactly you can make these little icons? my avatar is an example of one of them if you don't know what i'm talking about exactly..

yeah, it's like my avatar.. i can't really explain it, i think they're called graphic icons or something, they are what my avatar is.. same size and everything, but the people use like photoshop or psp or something to edit them.. adding pictures and then making their own effects on them such as blurring, antiquing, etc.. i'm sure since you don't know what i'm talking about that you won't be able to help me, lol. but i'm hoping someone will understand what i mean.. i just don't know how to go about editing them exactly, so if anyone could help me, it'd be appreciated..

Do you mean the Icons on the desktop for the programs? or do you mean the FavIcons - those little images in the address bar next to the url address? either of those help you decide what you are asking for?

You can see how to make FavIcons in the Tutorial/How To forum here. Try searching around http://download.cnet.com/windows/

Link:Icons search result for download.com

FavIcon Tut Link: FavIcon

Your explanation is a little vague, so i am not sure who will get it right. Probably if enough people post here you will get your answer eventually lol

Good Luck

no, no, it's not either of those lol. the favicons and such or your signature.. it's what my avatar is.. someone made it and edited it to be that exact size, and did their own little touch-ups on it.. i can't explain it!.. i can show you a link though where you can see exactly what i'm talking about.. hopefully now you'll understand, lol.

icons here.. the 100x100 ones..

Edited by mastercomputers (see edit history)

Okay, so you're asking how does one make an avatar?? Or make special cool effects with it is it? How did you make your own avatar in the first place? I think I know what you mean, like a lot of people only make LJ-icons all the time, and they have like words and designs on top of a photo or a picture, or they animate them and stuff. That's what you're asking right?Basically you just need photoshop or paint shop pro or gimp, and lots of originality and creativity. There's no such "formula" for making an avatar. Just take any picture you like, crop it to 100x100, and then add filters and layers of different colours and words, and if you want to animate it probably use a gif animating program or something. If you want to know how to make a particular EFFECT then maybe someone can reply...

Those icons or avatars take a program that does animation. Depending on your level of graphic knowledge, there are a lot of programs out there to use.

If you like the work on that site you shared, why not ask that person how they do their icons?

Most forums allow 96 x 96 on average.

You try doing a search? Just doing a quick search and I found these tutorials:

Making animated avatars with Paint Shop which has the url for a free demo of the program shown.

Tutorial on AIM animated icons

GConvert has a nice looking tutorial. I'm going to look at it myself.

A whole list of tutorials

This is summer and time to learn a new computer skill.

ahh, brian and chiiyo.. finally someone understands lol. i just couldn't explain it correctly, but thank you both for the help.. i'm not great with the graphic programs [chiiyo], and the help topics within them aren't much help for me because i don't know the wording they use for specific tools and options, etc.. i guess i'll have to take some time and really just sit down and study it one of these days. and brian, thanks for the links, i saved a couple of them, so when i have time i'll be able to check them out. :lol: thanks again.

Glad we were of help. Actually if you want to know more about those types of graphics program a good place to start is just by searching the Xisto forums. We get regular tutorials, short and long, as well as links to good tutorial sites for graphics quite regularly around here, and some of them are really useful. Most of the tutorials are written step-by-step, just follow through, and you will, at the same time, get familiarised with the program that you're using. A google search on the net should also come up with more understandable help files and tutorials for whatever program you're using. And at the very end, you can always purchase one of those "Dummies" or O'reilly books. They are always helpful.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are looking to make a favicon.

The Favicon is the icon that appears in your bookmarks list next to the site name and/or in your browser's address window or on the tabs (for tabbed browsers like firefox or mozilla).

Here is a really easy step-by-step way to create a high quality icon image for people with little or no graphics software experience:

First: Create your image

Use your favorite graphics program to create a large version (you can author in any size) of the image you intend to use for the favicon. If possible, use a transparent background Remember that the more colors you use, the less clear the image will be. A good rule of thumb would be to restrict the colors to the standard Windows 16, although I suspect that 256 colors would still work. .

Second: Save your image

If at all possible, save your image as a .png file. This will ensure your icon's background transparency so that it will blend in with any background color of the user's browser. If you cannot save in .png, the next best type would be .gif. Most software programs will allow you to maintain the image trasparency as a gif file.

Third: Convert your image to a .ico file

Use an icon creator software like Any2Icon (has a free trial...you can search for it - I have no affiliation with this company) to create icon sized images of your big image with very little, if any, distortion. The mentioned software is very easy to use. Save the image with the name favicon.ico and it should be 16x16 pixels in size.

Fourth: Install your favicon

Using your favorite ftp client or your provider's file manager, upload the favicon.ico to the root folder of your site. The root folder is the one that holds the index page.

And that's it! Your favicon should be viewable when a visitor is on any page in your root folder. If you have pages that are in folders other than the root, you will need to add the following code inside the <head> tag:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
Simply replace favicon.ico in with the actual location of the file, something like, "/images/favicon.ico" if the favicon is in your images folder.

Hope this helps someone!

Funny...

Avatars can be made in many programs... you can made it .gif, .jpg, or .gif. Sometimes you can made it in swf, that means you can made a simple flash, but you have to install macromedia flash (http://www.adobe.com/) or other program (for example swish). If you want to do a simple avatar you can do it in Corel (visit http://www.corel.com/de/) and if you want, download and try it. I use Corel 9 (I think, that it is the best vershin) and you can do everythink in it. The best avatars are .gif (8bit color) They look the best, and the have no compresion. Another plus of gifs is that they can be transparents. PNG alsow can be transparents, but not in all browsers (our 'favourite' MSIE doesnt show them good...) I propose you to try made some gif for the beggining.

If ypu want to, ypu can look here for some avatars:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Those are the avatars, wich can be use in phpbb forums, and I think that everyone can find something interesting there

My bad, I thought he was talking about the .ico image used by webdesigners to create the little image in the bookmarks folder of the browser. I guess Avatars are the little images people use in forums, next to their user names? Is this correct? Again, my mistake.

There are many programs now that can build those great icons, and even better, i should say.

Of course, those icon tools i am talking about are not free, you can download an evaluation version known as shareware version, but i recommend you to buy one of the following icon program:

MicroAngelo

IconDeveloper Professional

Icon CoolStudio

Personally, i am using the Icon Developer Professional, as it is the best of the 3 programs described above, but of course, you can find one of the other better for the same purpose, it is just a matter of taste, a matter of how you are able to work better making icons.

I'm sure there are freeware icon programs or tools, but i am also sure they are not even close to the high quality of the 3 described programs above, they were well built, they can do the job in a very quickly and easy way, you should beleave me because i build icons all the time, you can visit my website about free icons too download more then 20.000 icons, of course i have not build them all, just a few ones that are inside the packs.

20.000 Icons
http://free-icons.freehostia.com/

Edited by Lyon2 (see edit history)