xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SunBlind

Photoshop Tutorial: Awesome Twirl Effect I Cant Remember Where I Saw This...

Sorry I don't have any images for this tutorial, but it's so easy you won't need them! Okay, here we go...

1. Start off with a square image, white background. I think 400x400 works best.

2. Go to Filter>Render>Clouds

3. Go to Filter>Pixelate>Mezzotint: Short Lines

4. Go to Filter>Blur>Radial Blur: 100%, Zoom, and Best.

5. Hit Ctrl+F to duplicate the filter

6. Duplicate the layer

7. Go to Filter>Distort>Twirl: 75 or -75 (top layer only)

8. Set the top layer's blending mode to "Lighten"

9. Now merge the layers and press Ctrl+U to colorize! Or...

10. Press Ctrl+U on each layer for an even more awesome effect

Posted Image

Add overlaying scanlines or something and enjoy! Or if you're trying really, really hard and it's still not coming out right, here's the action.

Thank you, and you're welcome :lol: I hope it wasn't too vague, I was actually typing it from memory, I haven't done it since last year and I didn't feel like opening up PS Lol. I actually do have a little screenshot of it... I just didn't see a place to attach a file and I have no host atm :/

That's a very nice effect you got there! I just have one question about the instructions: When I duplicate the layer in step 7, do I repeat the twirl on the duplicated layer, except having the twirl in the opposite direction? Because, other than that, there is no reason to duplicate and then merge the layers, since you make no change to them in between (the colorizing doesn't have to be done on the layers separatly, you can just do it twice on the same layer... I think).

Anyways, I've posted below the results that I got. The first one has just one twirl, as I followed the directions exactly as they were written:

Posted Image

This second one contains two opposite swirls, colorized differently (one's blue and one's kinda green).

Posted Image

Either way, its a really good looking effect. Nice job! :lol:

*kicks self* Holy crap, thank you! Steps 7 and 6 are bassackwards, you're supposed to duplicate the layer *BEFORE* you use the twirl filter! Lol Told ya I haven't done this in a while. Thanks for catchin that, Killtacular:) I'll go edit it now...