xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tashie

Anyone Know Of Any Good Image Editing Software? for windows.

There are several good freeware image editors that I have come in contact with. I'll post the links to their download pages so you can judge for yourself.

The first one is Painter 2.5. It's much better than Paint [ obviously :P ], but it lacks compared to other image editors, but it's still good. The second one is Pixia. This program is alot better than Painter 2.5. :P The third program is Project Dogwaffle. I personally consider this the "poor man's Paint Shop Pro", but I'll let you judge that for yourself.

Painter 2.5: http://jansfreeware.com/
Pixia: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Project Dogwaffle:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Enjoy? :P

Nice proggies. Dogwaffle's gone commercial, but a reasonable free version is still available and even the commercial version is cheaper than PSP. Actually it kind of reminds me of earlier versions of PSP (like 5 and below) back when it was still uncrippled, works-forever shareware.

madcrow  Posted Yesterday, 12:07 PM  Because they cost lots of money and not everyone can afford fancy programs. Note that this was asked in the FREEWARE forum. Plus programs like the GIMP are every bit as powerful as any of the most powerful expensive programs.

I disagree with that. while GIMP may be the most powerful FREEWARE program, there's no way it compares on the same platform with Photoshop, especially CS2.

Yeah, GIMP is certainly the best free image editor. It's multi-platform, skinnable using the GTK skins engine (more noticable under Windows than Linux...) and has all the features you could ever want (more than Photoshop out of the box, you need to get extra plug-ins for tons of money to get all the features for PS that come with Gimp)

I am sorry to possibly derail but I can think of nothing that Gimp does that Photoshop does not. Whereas I can list many things the other way around.

On point, The Gimp will most likely meet your needs. there are programs in between as well; Ones that are not free but are not hyper expensive either. Photoshop Elements comes to mind as does Corel's Paint Shop Pro, both run under 100 dollars U.S. Lastly may times scanners or printers will ship with image editing software that you may find to be perfectly serviceable.

Well, it depends on what you are looking for. If you are intending to do something professional, then Photoshop is the way to go. It does indeed have some features that the Gimp does not have (cmyk support, for instance, is a crucial if you intend to use the Gimp for print design. The Gimp, shockingly, however, does not support this.) On the other hand, if you are just in need of an image editing program, then the Gimp will definitely do. Most people don't need to do everything that Photoshop has to offer. (I remember when I had Photoshop before, I rarely even touched the cmyk settings...so the Gimp was definitely a better option for me.)

*Yeah, GIMP is certainly the best free image editor. It's multi-platform, skinnable using the GTK skins engine (more noticable under Windows than Linux...) and has all the features you could ever want (more than Photoshop out of the box, you need to get extra plug-ins for tons of money to get all the features for PS that come with Gimp)

This is simply not true. The Gimp, for instance, does not offer cmyk support whereas Photoshop does, out of the box. That's one huge no no for print designers intending on using the Gimp, you know.

so.. does anyone know of any good image editing software? something similar to photoshop i guess or psp? that has a lot of options and things to do ..

I would Recomend you Adobe Photoshop, although its not freeware but but you'll

defenitely love it,and worth for its price..

Go For The ADOBE PHOTOSHOP CREATIVE SUITE 3

I would Recomend you Adobe Photoshop, although its not freeware but but you'lldefenitely love it,and worth for its price..

Go For The ADOBE PHOTOSHOP CREATIVE SUITE 3

I agree with karl here. It isnt free (unless you illegally download it + a crack for it!) but it is definitely worth it. There are plenty of things to do on it so just let your mind go free with it!

and yes.. go for adobe photoshop creative suite 3.. its better than cs2 or any older versions of photoshop!

i would also recommend using flash with it to make your animation stuffz!

I'm surprised no one mentioned Paint.Net . It's a great little app for simple stuff.I'd advise anyone who needs to do light image manipulation to use it since it is free, open source, and very easy to use.Other than that I agree that Gimp is a great program (with a stupid name). Still, like Linux, although it can be equal to the competition in most tasks (better in some), it requires more effort. If you feel your time is precious and you think you can recoup your investment, then Photoshop CS3 is the way to go...

Photoshop CS is the best image editor for windows. Do you mean free editor for windows?

Photoshop is a bit on the expensive side.

http://www.gimp.org/

GIMP is the best free image editor out there. similar features to photoshop. Try it!

Of course, Photoshop is the industry standard for Editing/Creating images with a variety of features, which is usually used, so if you have the money to buy it, then it really is one of the best things you can get, but if you're just a simple home user and want to create some graphics, choosing Gimp or Paint.NET is even better, because it's free, if those tools has to much features for you and all you want is just cut selections or similar, go with Irfanview :rolleyes:

for non free software :
photoshop is the best. I 've used this for about 5 year, but it's not cheap (about US$700)

for free software :
* gimp provide full function of photo editing tool, it's tools are similiar with photoshop, but don't Support HDR( high Dinamic Range) Image and not support CMYK too.
* cinepaint provide full support of color management but lack of tools for manipulation.
So, everything depend on you. what purpose you will use that software ?
for industrial standard, photoshop is not comparable, but for home or small business combination of GIMP or Cinepaint is good for you.
fyi,
based on their site, last samurai, harry potter and lord of the ring also used cinepaint for editing their movie frame by frame. just chek this.