xisto Community
Neverseen

Encoding MP3 Files In Winamp.

Ok, here is a little tutorial about how to encode your CD tracks and WAV files or whatever you want to MP3 format (for legal use only!)

First of all, you got to have Winamp installed. If you haven't got it, so you can go and download it at Official Winamp Website

Then you need a codec to be able to encode your files. I use Radium MP3 Codec, so I'd recommed this one. And it's free for download HERE

After you installed the codec, you'll need the MP3 output plug-in for Winamp HERE

And the last thing you need to download is Winamp CD Reader. It's free and can be downloaded HERE

Now, when you have all this stuff installed, you can start configuring your Winamp output.

1. Start Winamp

2. Go to Options > Preferences > Output. Choose Nullsoft MP3 Output Plug-In. Then click on 'Configure'.

Posted Image

3. You'll see the 'Select Directory' window. There you can choose the folder for your exported/encoded mp3 files. Choose the folder and press OK.

4. Now you see another window: 'Format Selection'. There you can choose the quality of your output files. I usually put 192 kbps 44,100 Hz Stereo. But it's up to you. Choose the quality you want and press OK. Then close the Preferences window.

5. Now, insert the track to convert in Winamp playlist.

6. Turn OFF the EQ, shuffle and repeat functions.

7. Press 'PLAY'... (You'll see the tracks playing but without any sound) Don't press anything while it's encoding the files. When the operation is finished, you can go and check the folder you've choosen at step 3.

8. Now go to output preferences (as explained in step 2) and choose your usual output settings.

That's it. Now you're ready to listen to your encoded MP3 files :lol:

Hey dudes thanks a lot!!!!!!!I had to encode to wav first and then copnvert it to mp3 with another software.This tutorial you have just publish is xtremly useful because you can encode aa live broadcast, o a .rm stream, etc....Another useful thing, fro ex, with mpc files, you can download the winamp codec to read it and, with the MP3 output plug-in you can convert it, don't forget to delete the mpc files when done!!!!!!THANKS! :lol:

ehh, humm... i have a problem downloading Fraunhofer Radium MP3 codec v1.263 Profesional, the download doesn't start, do u know another link where i could get it?

and, well i found this:

Fraunhofer Radium MP3 codec 1.263 Profesional

Updated: 1 Jan 2004 | Freeware | 0 | Downloads: 32512  Screenshots

Update: Fraunhofer IIS codecs aren't freeware or open-source software! If you really want the best codec-encoder combination, you better try LAME ACM Codec + LAME MP3 Encoder.

Download

Not Fraunhofer's latest but without doubt their best encoder to date.

The newer Fraunhofer codecs offer better Variable Bitrate performance, but their output quality is lower than the good old 1.263.

Avoid 'em! Nowadays Fraunhofer is surpassed in both quality and speed by LAME.

When it comes to Variable Bitrate encoding you better forget about Fraunhofer. It's just not on par with LAME.

in http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

what should i do?????

Excellent quality article but don't forget that you can also use the higher-compression and also open-source equivelant which is called Ogg Vorbis which also has an encoder similar to this one for use in Winamp.

Hi,

This is a very useful method for converting. But I usually prefer dbPowerAmp. You can get it at :

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/

The reason I use this is because you can convert files from one format to another just by right-clicking on the file and saying convert. It can also rip audio-cd's to mp3, wav, ogg, wma and a host of other formats. You just have to install the particular plugin from the site.