xisto Community
karlo

Mp3 Questions a question for a mp3 beginner like me

Hello... You all like to download MP3's online right? Well, hmmm... i love to download them and burn them in a cd but there's some unanswered questions roaving in my mind.

Example, I have many duplicates of one song with different file names, well, I want to remove those duplicate ones... how?

And MP3 is compressed right? Is there a way to uncompress those compressed sound so that I will really do unlock the wonderful sound of the audio?

Example, I have many duplicates of one song with different file names, well, I want to remove those duplicate ones... how?

There surely are some file-comparison programs which can match up files with similar sizes and then analyze the content a bit to tell whether they are the same or not - although am not sure of their names. This can very well be done with a checksum routine - it the file contents are exactly the same, it'll always generate the same checksum.

And MP3 is compressed right? Is there a way to uncompress those compressed sound so that I will really do unlock the wonderful sound of the audio?

Why would you want to decompress a MP3 - decompression won't enhance the quality in any way !! You'll get to hear exactly the same frequencies as you hear in a compressed MP3.. When MP3 compresses a wav file - it cuts out a whole lot of frequencies which anyway wouldn't make an audible difference to the human ear. Andhow much it cuts out, depends on the encoding rate you choose... around 320kbps, it cuts out the least.. at 128kbps and less - it drops more.. When you decompress the MP3 - there's no way to get back these lost frequencies.. so your whole idea of "unlocking" the hidden sound will never work.

Regards,

m^e

There surely are some file-comparison programs which can match up files with similar sizes and then analyze the content a bit to tell whether they are the same or not - although am not sure of their names. This can very well be done with a checksum routine - it the file contents are exactly the same, it'll always generate the same checksum.

Why would you want to decompress a MP3 - decompression won't enhance the quality in any way !! You'll get to hear exactly the same frequencies as you hear in a compressed MP3.. When MP3 compresses a wav file - it cuts out a whole lot of frequencies which anyway wouldn't make an audible difference to the human ear. Andhow much it cuts out, depends on the encoding rate you choose... around 320kbps, it cuts out the least.. at 128kbps and less - it drops more.. When you decompress the MP3 - there's no way to get back these lost frequencies.. so your whole idea of "unlocking" the hidden sound will never work.

Regards,

m^e

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm... thanks for the reply... what about the compare thing? If it's the same file or not... i think i will be able to free some disk space if I delete those duplicated ones... I hope that everything would be automatic.

If you want to change the bitrate of a music file. This is a good program dbPowerAMP.
You can change bitrate with this program, from WAV, MP3, WMA and some other files, in many different ways. I use it to put more music on my MP3-player.

If you want to change the bitrate of a music file. This is a good program dbPowerAMP.

You can change bitrate with this program, from WAV, MP3, WMA and some other files, in many different ways. I use it to put more music on my MP3-player.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see.. so let's say I have a 256 Kbps music, it will become 128 kbps without any loss of quality?

Hello Please For Your Own Safety Do Not Download Imesh Because It Bring Spyware, Ad-Aware, Viruses Inc. Trojans And Loadsa Other Stuff

Ben

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for telling me.. I'm using Shareaza... I have LimeWire Pro on my pc but i don't use it because it's slow.

>QUOTE(Moody @ Jun 25 2005, 03:42 PM)>If you want to change the bitrate of a music file. This is a good >program dbPowerAMP.>You can change bitrate with this program, from WAV, MP3, WMA and >some other files, in many different ways. I use it to put more music on >my MP3-player.>I see.. so let's say I have a 256 Kbps music, it will become 128 kbps >without any loss of quality?There will be loss of quality, but not so much that the music sounds bad. You shouldn't go below 128 kbps though. Regarding the duplicate file issue, you should just go through your files and delete the dupes and tidy like if it was tidying your room. :lol:

If you go from a HIGHER bitrate to a LOWER bitrate, you WILL lose some quality. However, going from a LOWER bitrate to a HIGHER bitrate will not change the quality of the music. If you think about what you are doing it makes some sense.Going from 256k to 128k, you don't have the ability to retain that extra 128k of data. However if you have 128k of data, and go to 256k, you can have ALL of the 128k and still have leftover room. This will simply be unaffected data however since you've already disacrded everything above the original 128k. This is why if you take your MP3's and decompress them into a larger file format, you'll just have big file sizes eating up hard drive space but no extra sound quality.As far as those comparison programs go, it WUOLD help you save sopme room, but they likely couldn't be perfect at finding duplicates or even guarantee not to delete files that ARN'T duplicates...especially if u get a freeware version.

Of course you lose quality, but when you just wanna hear some music you can compress it to 128kb, it's enought for me. On my computer i leave it as high as possible, but for MP3 players or Ipods, it can by usefull to compress them.

YEa I usually have 256kish on my computer (as above that I don't really notice the dif personally...probably due to *BLEEP* speakers) but on my mp3 player I usually try to stick to 128kish, lets you have more songs without a noticeable quality drop.

Got a question about this site and mp3's.. Does it work to post links on other sites. that you upload an mp3 on this site... and if u run the Link through anothe site. will it play the song... just a question im wondering..

DbPowerAmp is a very good solution for compressing / uncompressing your media. You could also go and get a program called SoundForge. It also does many things like that. Last time I check it costs money so I don't know if that's your best option.

When you were talking about many file names for one file. Personally I suggest just running a Windows search for something they all have in common. Then I would find the file you want and delete the rest of the files.

Hope this helped you some:)

Audio Books

Mp3 Questions

I have downloaded several Audio Books in Mp3 format, usually as 3-5 minute files, but a few of them are one long track of 15 hours. Is there any way to put breaks or pauses so that my player sees sees them as a series if tracks 3-5 min.S long

-reply by Murky