xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
WeaponX

Safe Mode Restriction? Is it turned on?

Hi, I installed SMF smoothly just now. I just tried to install some mods and encountered this error:

2: copy(Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php~): failed to open stream: Permission denied

File: /home/weaponx/public_html/bb/Sources/Subs-Package.php

Line: 1307

If memory serves me correctly, I remember that I had to ask my webhost to turn safe mode off. Is this the case here also?

Also when I installed Mambo, I see that register globals was off. Is that ok? It was in red when I ran the setup.

Just checked, but they are set to 777 already.

Now when I try to install the MOD, I get some failures in the process:

12.  Execute Modification  Sources/Admin.php  Failure15.  Execute Modification  Sources/Subs.php

I clicked Proceed anyway and it gave me the same error message in my initial post.

I see that it created some backups (?) also since those two failed files above also have a duplicate but with a tilde ~ at the end.

Any other ideas?

Check the complete directory structure. DIRA/DIRB/DIRCIf a file in DIRC needs special persmission like 777, then u have to ensure that DIRA and DIRB are also 777.

Wow, sorry for not posting earlier, but remember I said about fix_ownership.php, this is what its for :lol:

When you modify files with mods or packages in SMF it makes a copy of the older file as a backup for you, well, the backup needed changed and couldnt be because of the chmod, fix_ownership.php will chmod all the files correctly within seconds, no hassle for you.

Just upload it your SMF folder, run the file in your web browser and then delete it.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Thanks for the explanation Trekkie. So basically this fix_ownership.php file is used to chmod all my files and folders for SMF to 777?

Yeah, I saw that my backup permissions were modified (not 777) but the newly created file was. Anyway, the problem's there already now. Since the mod didn't install completely (it was the Donation Mod), I have duplicates now (two Donation buttons :lol:). Luckily, it was a test forum. Is there any way to undo this incomplete MOD installation, if say, this was a live forum? Manual way is only method?