xisto Community
WeaponX

Unzip Files In Cpanel? Can files be unzipped in cPanel?

Hi, I just got my new hosting account and was wondering if I can upload a zip file and get it unzipped in the server?Normally I wouldn't mind unzipping and sending it using FTP, but sometimes I'm somewhere else (like my workplace) and they don't allow FTP. Uploading the files one by one is going to be tedious since my zip files usually have almost 100 files or more. Small though, so it won't bog down the server :lol: Thanks.

Yup.. that can be done. In your cPanel you'll find an icon named File manager. You can either use that to upload files or use a web-based ftp client (example: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) - if your workplace blocks ftp.

Once uploaded, you can use the same cPanel file manager and click on your file. Once clicked you'll be presented with certain actions you can perform on that file or folder. These actions include, Copying/Moving/Deleting/Renaming & UNZIPPING. Simply click on Unzip and it'll decompress your file into the containing directory. Be a little careful here, as it might flood your containing folder with the files in the zip - if they're not packed neatly into separate folders..

Regards,

m^ew

That worked perfectly m^e. Thanks. Chose Extract File Contents.One last question here. Is my SQL username and password the same as my cPanel username and password? I can't get it to install the SMF forum.

Nope. To install SMF, first you got to manually create a database for SMF and an user with ALL permissions granted. You will find another icon called MySQL Databases in cPanel. Use that to perform these ops.

Now supposing your cpanel username is weaponx, any database/user that you create will be prefixed with weaponx_

Example: I want to create a db named smfdb and the user as smfusr - when I use that cPanel tool to create these two.. the outcome will be -

Database: weaponx_smfdb

Username:weaponx_smfusr

You've to use these values in the SMF setup options in order to enable SMF connect to your db properly...

Regards,

m^e

Somehow this is not working for me...  :-( .  Here's wat I had done:

>> Zipped the files using winzip.

>> Uploaded them using FTP.

>> Extracted them using the Cpanel. 

HOWEVER:  Cpanel is skipping more than half the files and not unzipping them . PLease suggest wat to do..