xisto Community
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Just Installed A 1gig Ddr

Hi guys, Muahahahahahaha. Just installed another One Gig DDR on my system - taking the total upto a whole whopping 1.5Gigs :lol: Oh man - the damned things becoming a powerhorse day by day... Yaaaay... I can't hold back on my joy !!!!m^e

Odd coincidence since I did the exact same a week or so ago. I found nice 400mhz DDR on sale for way lower then I usually would have found it offline (online would have been a tiny bit cheaper maybe...but whatever it was an impulse buy) but now that I finally have a sizeable ram amount my computer is "complete". Before with 512 it always felt like I was missing something. I had good processor, good video, average ram....hmm...average? not acceptable :lol: haha

haha.. right said. Your baby seems to be lacking bigtime till you slap on a huge chunk of ram onto it :lol: The overall performance gets a HUGEE boost too, as swapping becomes minimal. Earlier even with 512MB, windows used to swap like crazy, coz with all my tools loaded I'd have just about 100MB free for use by other softwares.Now I have a whopping 800Meg free for use.. As soon as I installed the 1Gig, Windows swallowed up around 550Meg.. lol.. I wonder how it was behaving itself when I had a 512 meg ONLY.... hehe..

Exactly. Although I don't think my systems pulling down quite that much, its awesome knowing the ram is there when its needed. It sucks booting up, firing up a program only to feel it chug as the swappings occuring trying to load some tiny *bottom* program :lol: Ah yessss, we in the gig.5 crew roll smoothly indeed haha

With ram I always go for cheap cheap cheap haha. I've played with faster ram in my machine and I noticed a tiny improvement...but if I can buy the ram for like half the price I'll let my fps drop a few clicks lol

hmm, interesting, how much did you pay for 1gig plate of ram? :P I buyed recently 512 and thought that its way enough :P... Anyway, did you know when you put 1,5 Gb, of RAM into a computer, it actually needs double space for swap on HDD. So, in your case your swap file would be aprox. 3Gb :P, because RAM is only temporary memory, it's how computer works, for all RAM installed it must be at least double of that RAM space on HDD for swap, in other words dont fill out whole HDD to 99% :P

Hehe.. I was going to pay arnd 8,000Thai Baht or about $200 for the 1Gig Plate.. BUT - this shop I buy my stuff from always has a raffle for anything you buy worth more than 3000baht.. I guess it was my ultra lucky day - I picked up a coupon for 50% DISCOUNT :PSo it came for a meagre $100 :P hea hea hea hea..

Actually that is incorrect...if you think about that it wouldn't even make sense. I mean... why would you need twice the HD space if its just a temporary holding spot for the ram's data? Also unless you set it yourself the size of the swap file dynamically changes based on however much is needed.The swap file is just the HD that is virtual memory for when your ram fills up... so if you have tons of ram its unlikely you'll even need to use your swap file.

Actually that is incorrect...if you think about that it wouldn't even make sense. I mean... why would you need twice the HD space if its just a temporary holding spot for the ram's data? Also unless you set it yourself the size of the swap file dynamically changes based on however much is needed.

The swap file is just the HD that is virtual memory for when your ram fills up... so if you have tons of ram its unlikely you'll even need to use your swap file.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you would be surpirsed how many forums I've been on and I was the only person that posted that seemed to understand that...(bows). Also even at 768 megs, which is where I sit with ram currently I don't even go double for swap file, I have mine locked at 1 gig virtual. The reason for this is that it forces windows to behave more responibly. When you allow windows to use as much as it wants it getts a bit greedy at times and forgets to unallocate sometimes when you let your comp run for days on end without reboot.

Heh... the size for swap is matter of big debate - has always been, will always be.. I wouldn't even go into all that for windows - coz for windows there's no swapping rule whatsoever - it's all left to it's mercy.

But for linux, it's generally considered a good practise to have swap size max 1.5 times your ram. Also it's better is the swap partitions are fixed at a number which is multiple of 4. This makes optimal usage of swap space, coz the linux kernel writes out memory pages approx. 4KB in size. If the swap space isn't a multiple of 4, the last few kilobytes may go waste.. lol.. not that I care really :P

Would you believe that even with this whopping amount of RAM, Windows managed to make my system cry and literally BEG for a reboot today morning ??? I was putting it through a stress test - and had let it run for 4 days straight out.. And I usually do some heavy unmonitored music+sw downloads at night.. So today morning I fire up m monitor and try starting Visual Studio - everything almost freezes.. Bringing up task manager I see, that my system has exactly around 560K of FREE RAM OUT OF 1.5GB !!!!! ... All that were running were FlashGet and a couple of mp3 downloads... URGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

Anyways - it reminded me of what I always go around saying...

Linux: What Windows will NEVER BE !

Haha yea, I still usualy try to reboot every few days even if its not crying yet... after leaving it downloading overnight for a few nights in a row and gaming hard some days in between it kind of brings the system to its knees after awhile. I used to use a ram cleaner tool that basically was like rebooting but it took almost as long as I figured why bother heh.Oh, and you don't need to leave windows in control of the swap...you can set a min/max swap file size if you wanna force it to stay a certain size or whatever.And thanks for letting me know about the multiple of 4 rule for linux...I'll have to resize my swap partition so those 3k of space don't get wasted :P