xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
overdrive2023x

Why Are Firewire Cables So Expensive? (retail)

So I bought my firewire cable online at Newegg.com for about 3 dollars. Then I go with my friend to buy him one at the local best buy and compusa, and the cheapest one is 40 dollars! We even asked the sales associate, and he said he's never seen a firewire cable for around 3 dollars? So what gives?

what 3 dollars! thats just under 2 poundsi bought one from a shop for 15 pounds, about 30 dollars.even form the manufacturers they cost about that. i.e if you buy one from canon for your dv cam.i feel ripped off

Depending on which firewire cable you get and where you get it, prices will vary.

Places like New Egg buy in huge quantities, so they can offer a lower price.

When you have time to shop around, or live in an area where you have choices for your purchases, you can find better deals. If you live in an area that has few places from which to buy such things, you're stuck. Pay the price or don't get the item.

A friend of mine in a rural area called Circuit City about prices on an external firewire hard drive. The website listed them, but the local store didn't carry them, preferring to sell the older usb external units. This shows that some people are stuck!

From a purely retail point of view, there appears to be more profit in cables. Don't most people go for brand names, so they are willing to pay more?

If you're on vacation and need a cable or you have to have one for a special project tonight, you'll pay the going rate for anything. Even if it does cost more than it should, we tend to just buy what we need and keep on going.

$3 is a great deal, but doesn't look like the prices are that low now. I see they have a generic cable for $7 now.

Anyway, it's good to try to save money, but sometimes, it just doesn't happen.

I agree, they do tend to be a little more expensive (at least around my area). I guess it does depend on what type you got and how long was the cable.I was going to buy a firewire cable online (eBay auction) and saw it running for $0.99 and bidded on it. Someone outbidded me for $3.00 but shipping was $6.95I needed the cable so I went to my local electronic store and bought it for only $10. It's a 6 foot 4-pin to 6-pin cable from iConcepts. I think that's a good deal, but should have tried newegg. Like Brian said, if you need it, you'll pay for it.