xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jackel

Help With Images how 2 make it transperent

Ok. On a website, how do you make it so that an image is transparent (see through)? Ive heard something about you can only do it in photoshop. Please help if u know how to.

okay..well the basic file types that support transparency are .gif and .png...there are many others though..i think that gif files are more commonly used on websites.. and by transparent are you talking about making some parts of the picture transparent or the whole picture semi-transparent or what excatly... i tried using 24bit png files on sites and they dont seem to work so well..perhaps im not doing it right though.there are some sites i have seen that look as though they use some type of mask for true mutilevel transparency.. not a clue as to how they do this though it might be something to look into.and you can do it in alot of different programs..not only photoshop.

The most common transparent graphics I have seen is GIF images.Transparency is acquired by using several methods including:1 Using the same color for the background of the graphic as the page back ground color it is placed in.2 Making you graphic background color black and set the transparency to black. Then select save as and set the file as a “GIF89a” in the options tab.

... Or are you asking about how to make an image seem transparent on the actual page, like with a css filter?

To make it transparent, I use Adobe Photoshop (paint doesn't have transparent ability). You first create a file, make the background 'transparent'. Click ok, design your picture, etc, etc. Save it as a .gif (or .png I think) and put it on a page! When the page changes color, the parts of the picture that you left transparent will be that page's color(therefore transparent)

If the image has a distinctly different background (such as a jpeg with a white background) you can simply use the magic wand tool, then save it as a gif file. If the background isn't very different from the colors of the main image, you can use the extract tool in the filter menu

If you are referring to a css filter for making IMAGES on your website appear transparent then here's the code:

<style type="text/css">a img{filter:alpha(opacity=50);}</style>

That will make all the images on your webpage 50 percent transparent. Of course, you can change the opacity number to your liking, where the lower the number the more transparent the image will be.

You can also choose to make the images on your page transparent with mouseover:

<style type="text/css">a:hover img{filter:alpha(opacity=50);}</style>