xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mpodner

Ad-aware Vs Spy-bot What you think??

I use Ad-Aware for regular scans for ads and small spys, and it works fine... I use CWSShredder in addition, once a month or so, to check for CoolWebSearch spyware... But I think most of adware and spyware programs are near one another... They all do their job, some better then the rest, some not :angry:

Ad-Aware and spy-bot are both good. They go hand in hand. When one doesn't pick up something the other one will. For better protection is better to have them both than just one. Besides both are free.

Hey Guys,Mario is correct. Adaware & Spybot work together to complement each other. They search for different types of malware. The best practices procedure for using these tools is to run Adaware first, then ... run Spybot. Spybot checks for trojans & webbrowser hijackers that Adaware does not search for. Also CWSShredder (ala Galahad's comment) does a good job of finding registry & other file entrys that both Adaware & Spybot do not erase/delete.Hope this HelpsRGPHNX

I believe that ad-aware is just an easier way of getting spyware off of my computer. I had so much spyware on my computer that I got pop-ups of internet sponsers without even having my internet explorer being open. If you use Mozilla Firefox and Ad-Aware, you don't really have to worry about getting to much spyware, because firefox is great for preventing that. If you don't want to have either program on the computer just use MF (Mozilla Firefox) I call Internet Explorer the Spyware God, because you get about 240% more spyware on IE.

ad-ware is way better! spy-bot, you cant run on limited accounts(with windows xp), but only on the admin account, and it only gets whats on the admin account, it misses the limited accounts. to better word it... it lets you scan the limited account.. but doesnt let you clean it. ad-ware lets you do all the accounts, limited or admin, and lets you clean them too. so i think ill stick with ad-ware until somethin better comes out...

spybot, not only is it faster.. but it usually gets stuff that adaware doesnt catch.after 9-10 scans of spybot getting a number of things, not removing them.. and then having adaware with the latest definitions not see them, i just gave up on adaware.

I think that both are useful...because ad-aware removes some files but spyware finds other files as well..so i use them both...i like ad-aware a bit better..i don't know why.but spybot is really very useful too..

Both are decent, when combined, but the best is webroot's. It's not free, but you can get a 30-day trial. Also, don't forget to run these programs in safe mode so you can get even more spyware. Sorry if I may have accidentally posted some things twice, I hit add reply then stopped it real quick to add something I forgot to. We need the edit button back, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

A lot of people before me have said correctly that both of these programs are really top class,but they are best when they work in pair.What interests me is how often do you perform system scans with these two programs? I perform it once in a moth approximately,and it works more than fine for me so far.