xisto Community
Klass

WAP54G Linksys Wireless Access Point

I have a WAP54G Linksys Wireless Access Point running in G mode with the Latest firmware, with my only Laptop also using Intel ® Pro/Wireless 2100 LAN miniPCI Adapter G Mode Card built-in. I also have a PCMCIA WPC54G Linksys Card G Mode capable.It is running at 2.4 Ghz Frequency.I had a Dell Wireless 1350(b/g)WLAN miniPCI Card (Built-in) but recently had an Intel ® Pro/Wireless 2100 LAN miniPCI Adapter installed.The issue is:My wireless connection drops at odd times of the day and does not locate the Access Point for about 5 minutes, I contact Dell my OEM and swapped the Dell Wireless 1350(b/g)WLAN miniPCI Card 6 times, also changed the mother board 2 times, even went as far as reinstalling Windows XP Pro. Swapped Access Points also. Still same problem wireless connection drops.Contacted Dell again and they sent me Intel ® Pro/Wireless 2100 LAN miniPCI Adapter which has been working great except it to drops the wireless connection.The Access Point is located 20 feet from where I have the laptop, so distance and/or walls are not a problem as it is in the same room. I have narrowed a majority of the dropped connections to my 2.4 Ghz portable phone in my house, when it rings or I am on it I lose wireless connection. Funny thing now is I have disconnected my Portable Phone but yet I still encounter intermittent Wireless connection drops.The question is:What could be causing the continued connection drops?How do I locate if my neighbors are using 2.4 Ghz Portable phones?How do I block the portable phone frequency from interfering with my Wireless Network?How do I change the frequency my wireless Access Point uses?

Have you installed the driver for the Linksys Card (I have a similar WAP and PCMCIA card and had some issues at first as well). If so, did you install it before ever inserting the card, if not, uninstall the driver and reinstall, then add the card. Sometimes wireless cards also have problems when multiple connections are open. If you are using the linksys card (which I would recommend, it was designed for the WAP), disable the intel wireless connection. Also, make sure you use either channel 1 or 6 (or 11, but 1 and 6 are best, for home, I use 6) for your Wireless connection and make sure that you create another network other than the default. To check and see if your neighbors have a connection, open the Linksys Wireless card software, click the Middle Tab (It says something like Networks) and click search, if your neighbor has an available network, it will then be listed.The problem with portable phones is that FCC regulations require wireless cards to accept any interference from other radio waves (so as not to interfere with radios and portable phones). To make sure that you are not on the same frequency as your phone, find the frequency of your phone and select a channel that doesn't share a frequency with it. This is why I said channels 1 or 6. Channel 1 is 2.412GHz and channel 6 is 2.437GHz. The diffent channels create slightly different frequencies. To find out if your neighbors have a portable phone within range, just call and ask them, although they should not be a problem if your wireless card is that close to the WAP.If you can, make sure both antenna (if there are two) point in the same direction and that the WAP is not too much higher up than the wireless card.Connection drops could be a variety of things. Interference from other devices (like portable phones), overheating of the wireless card (my WPC54G will overheat to the point where I can smeel noxious plastic, it still works fine, but I have to let it cool down), a bad WAP or card, Windows, or any number of things. If neither card works, you can rule out it being a card problem. If the laptop can receive wireless signals in other places (like at Starbucks) then it isn't Windows. If another wireless laptop can get your signal, it isn't the WAP.Let me know if any of this helps, and, if not, feel free to ask ore questions.~Viz

I have installed the proper software for my Intel Card, from DELL which is Internal.I have installed the Linksys CD for my PCMCIA Card before inserting it. (Followed the Instruction sheet from the Box)The Linksys card is not a feasible option as it is PCMCIA and I need/want Internal.I have tried Channels 1, 6, 7, 11 on the WAP. I have also unplugged my phone from the power outlet, but the issue still persists.Once a week (so it is not always on) I get a rouge Wireless listed in my available wireless networks but I am always connected to mine to notice any issues.I also have the WAP in clear view of my Laptop with 30 Feet or less distance.I do not smell anything from the WAP and like I said I have swapped WAP's (I have tried 3 different WAP54G's from 3 different stores around my county, with and without the new firmware).Your last paragraph is good, but I have already tried 8 different Wireless Cards, whether internal or PCMCIA, 2 Mother Boards, and reinstalled Windows XP Pro.I am able to use my WAP at work which is a WAP54G with no issues with all 8 of my Wireless Cards I have tried. (Also took it home to test and received the same dropped connections).I think it is one of my neighbor’s Portable Phone causing interference. I am home around 4pm Eastern Time, and all day on weekends and that is usually when I notice the issues. Mostly after 8pm during the week.I will try switching my WAP Channels 1-11 and see if I can find one that works better than others.

Yalk to your neighbor, find out if they use a portable or cell phone, and if they do, what model so you can find the frequency.

Here's a list of interference causing issues from linksys:

WINDOW IN BRICK WALL                                        2dBMETAL FRAME, GLASS WALL INTO BUILDING            6dB
OFFICE WALL                                                          6dB
METAL DOOR IN OFFICE WALL                                  6dB
CINDER WALL                                                        4dB
METAL DOOR IN BRICK WALL                                  12.4dB
BRICK WALL NEXT TO METAL DOOR                          3dB

DO you lose a connection to the internet? Or to the WAP completely?

~Viz

Those interfaces would be me going through them correct? i.e.. wall with metal studs, wall made of cinder block, etc.In my original post I am in the same room with nothing obstructing my view of the WAP or Laptop with a distance of 30 feet or less.I lose connection to the WAP which in turn disconnects me from the internet and LAN from my laptop, If I go to my Desktop I am able to access the WAP with no issues (i.e.. the web interface not wireless as my desktop is wired, laptop is wireless)

Theoretically, the interference should only be if you are going through it, in actuality, do to random factors and the fact that the world hates us all (well just me really) it may cause slight degradation anyway. Couple more questions, when you are connected, how strong is the signal, and what is your signal strength and noise level? These can be seen formt he Linksys software thing under the Link Information tab, hit More then Statistics. Also, what driver version are you using? I think there was a new driver release from Microsoft, but I don't remember.~Viz

My Speed is at 54,0 MbpsSignal Quality is ExcellentI have the newest Intel Driver for the Intel ® Pro/Wireless 2100 LAN miniPCI Adapter Internal card, I have also tried the newest Linksys and Microsoft drivers for the PCMCIA WPC54G Linksys CardI am the only one on the WAP with 1 laptop. I have MAC address filtering, as well as WPA Pre-Shared Key for encrypted data and access to the WAP.

I had a very similar problem with my Dell 1350 mini pci card. Didn't notice any interference with my wireless phone, which is 3' from my access point. I did have to go back to version 3.40.73 /3.40.74 utility, A04 of driver and utility. Hit http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19?c=&l=&s= search for R81433.exe. I know it sounds crazy to go back, let me explain why I tried.

In October 2004, I bought an Inspiron 5160. Had the 1350 wireless card and worked great. In March 2005, bought a Latitude 610. The wireless card was extremely flaky, disconnecting "all the time". I am talking I made a 50' patch cable so I could leave my office plugged in. Support could not fix it. Support sent me a new card. I swapped the cards between laptops. The Inspiron worked and the Latitude didn't. Support was very willing to help, but I only have so much time to be on the phone with them.

Recently, the Inspiron hard drive crashed. Had to replace it. Again, sounds crazy, but I am glad I didn't have a backup. I installed the latest drivers from Dell's site, and the wireless card started disconnecting. I couldn't find the old drivers from the Inspiron. Called support and they pointed me to the old driver that shipped on my Inspiron. That is the r81433.exe listed above.

I have installed the old driver on both machines, and things seem to be working great. I use Windows to manage the wireless cards, not Dell's utility.

Now for something I can't explain. I tried two Belkin PCMCI wireless cards in the Latitude. They seemed to work the same as the Dell 1350. Can't explain it, just thought you should know.

Give the old driver and the Dell 1350 a shot.