xisto Community
m3ch4

Computer Powersupplies question on differnt types?

Hey,another question, related to my last thread.Are there different types of computer powersupplies? or are they all the same and can be used in all computers? I'm not refering to the different wattage of the supplies, simply if there are a variety of different types?I purchased a regular supply for my current computer as a replacement a while back and it had all the plugs I'm used to, but in my last thread here I mentioned I ran into an old computer. That computer's powersupply had most of the plugs I'm familiear with, but a few extra, plus some leds and stuff I was unsure of that attached to the front of the case and to a few different buttons. (old standby buttons for the hdd and moniter perhaps?)any info on this would be much appreciated!

Some power supplies are different from others. The AT type of piower supplies are not compatable with ATX or vice versa. I don't think thay manufacture AT PS's anymore, but you never know. :(

Well you can use a AT powersupply on a ATX board but you need a special adapter. ATX and AT powersupplies are different because of different connectors. AT are used in older systems and ATX are used on new systems. Some ATX powersupplies even have 2 power input connectors to power up, which is totally crazy.

hI m3ch4,Just a word of caution...MAKE SURE you connect the power supply connectors to the motherboard correctly.On older boards (ie. the ones with 2 connectors) if you reverse them ... you will fry your motherboard. :( ALWAYS CHECK YOUR MOTHERBOARD WIRING DIAGRAM & SPECS FIRST !!!Hope this helps,RGPHNX