xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
gamerchick39

Google Question For You Guys

How long does it take for their robots or whatever views webpages submitted to be added to google to go through the pages... I tried adding my dads band page to google almost a year ago and i havent seen any change when doing a search... what exactly do the do.. i mean how do they go about adding sites and stuff like that to google?

what do you mean: I havent seen any change after a year. The submitted site should be instantainious. You did add your site here didn't you?:https://www.google.com/

Then there is google's new SiteSitemaps (another BETA)

How does "Google Sitemaps" work?

The purpose of the Google Sitemaps project is enabling webmasters to inform and direct the Google spiders through their website. Sitemaps provide crawlers with information about the website’s structure as well as data about its pages, which leads to, according to Google, an improved indexing process.

Another benefit brought by sitemaps is that webmasters can quicken the indexing of some pages by publishing them in the sitemap, without waiting for the usual „visit” of the crawlers. This technique is called „content pushing”.

However, by using sitemaps you will NOT achieve better placement in Google SERPS (search engine result pages).

Sitemaps are text files in the XML format that contain information about the website, a list

of webpages and some corresponding parameters. At most 50,000 entries can be placed into a sitemap, provided the sitemap’s filesize is not more than 10MB uncompressed (sitemap access and transfer can be greatly improved by using gzip compression which yields smaller files due to its excellent handling of text data). Should you exceed these limits you will have to use multiple sitemaps and group them into a „sitemap-index”.

Each webpage inserted into a sitemap is defined by the following characteristics:

- Changefreq: how often the webpage’s content is modified

- Lastmod: the date of the last modification

- Loc: the webpage URL

- Priority: the priority of the webpage with respect to the other webpages in the site

To ease the creation of sitemaps, Google has made available Sitemap Generator (sitemap_gen.py), an utility written in the Python language. It can create sitemaps through three metods, based on some parameters:

- by reading a text file that contains all URLs to include in the sitemap

- by reading directories on the server’s filesystem

- by parsing webserver log files

Advanced users can take advantage from the XML format of sitemaps and choose to „automagically” generate them (for example, a developer can integrate sitemap support into his/her content management system’s (CMS))

Sitemaps can also be based on the „Open Archives Initiative (OAI) protocol for metadata harvesting”, a popular and standard protocol, so anyone that already has OAI-PMH 2.0 sitemaps can submit them unaltered to Google/

For those that think XML/OAI sitemaps are too complex, there’s a simpler solution: submitting a file that contains just an URL list.

For more information about the Google Sitemaps protocol you may visit these pages:

https://www.google.com/

https://www.google.com/

One thing that should not be passed-by easily is that Google Sitemaps is still a Beta project, therefore Google does not guarantee it will crawl all URLs included in sitemaps. However, the benefits seem important enough to encourage all webmasters to use sitemaps.

maybe you submitted your site wrong or something. Try seing if the sitemap works :S

what do you mean: I havent seen any change after a year. The submitted site should be instantainious. You did add your site here didn't you?:https://www.google.com/

Then there is google's new SiteSitemaps (another BETA)

maybe you submitted your site wrong or something. Try seing if the sitemap works :S

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmm i havent heard about the new sitemaps thing thanks for that info... as far as the submission i did use that link when i first created the site... i guess what im wanting is well to put it the best way i know how... ya know when you type in somehting like sausage, it brings up any and every page with the word sausage in it right... whenever you put in the band name for my dads stuff... it gets a couple hits for articles, then one link for the website... which didnt use to do that unless you typed in the band name without spaces... so i guess that much is fixed...

haha im prolly just mad cuz theres not a gazillion pages for it... thanks for your help anyway :D

yep you have to add your site to google's rankings (the link above)use several meta tags to help your site. for example using the tag "<meta name="Revisit-After" content="10 Days">" will get google to revisit and update your page every 10 days. this is useful if you have a popular site that gets updated content very frequently. Here's a list of several other meta tags:<meta name="Author" content=""><meta name="description" content=""><meta name="abstract" content=""><meta name="keywords" content=""><meta name="Publisher" content=""><meta name="copyright" content=""><meta name="Publisher-Email" content=""><meta name="ROBOTS" content=""><meta name="audience" content="">hope this helps