xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
vujsa

Mambo Open Source Content Management System An Overview Of Mambo (MOS)

Mambo Open Source (MOS) is a Content Management System (CMS) that is very easy to use.

The templates are about 95% html/xhtml based so they are easy to create. More unique templates can be created with some knowledge of PHP.

Mambo is an open source application so it is free to use. There are hundreds of modifications available for Mambo as well.

Here is the default list of features:

Number of members and guests online.

News Flash box on front page.

Newsfeed Configurator.

Menu Manager for multiple menus in either vertical or horizontal listing.

Site Search - All areas via individual search bots.

HTML Editor.

User Manager.

User submitted news items.

Multiple content addition methods.

Categorized Web Links.

Categoriezed Content.

Categorize New Articles.

Archive for news and content.

Polls.

Easy Server, Database, and Site Configuration Screens.

Module, Component, and Bot Installers.

Easily turn off or on any module or component.

FAQ.

Multiple user levels available.

Member or Admin only options for all items.

View on certain pages only option for all modules and menus.

Module position control without editing template.

Copy, Create, Edit, Delete Modules

more...

The first modification I suggest it to turn off the default Web Links and use the Bookmarks component instead. the Bookmarks component uses Yahoo style hierarchical categories for the links and you can even set your links (bookmarks) as private or import all of your bookmarks or favorites from your browser. A single link can be shown in multiple categories as well without the need to submit the link several times. In fact, each link may only be used once. Auto validation of the link makes keeping track of dead links easy and the link description can be set to automatically get the meta description from the target webpage.

If you are an Simple Machines Forum (SMF) user like me, you'll be happy to know that there is more than one SMF-Mambo bridge availible. I suggest using the one from MamboHacks.com.

If you want to use Mambo and SMF together with this bridge and you use Fantastico for installation, read this first.

There are many other great components availible as well as modules and bots that will make your website unique and interesting.

Give Mambo a try, I'm sure you'll like what you see.

Happy Content Managing, :D

vujsa

I am thinking of installing Mambo on Xisto and Xisto ? What do you think ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess it depends on how you want to use it. If you are looking for an easy way to add additional features to the website while keeping everything tied together, then a CMS like Mambo might be a good idea.

I must warn you that the current IPB-Mambo bridge is pretty thin. All it really does is share the user log in system for seamless transition from one application to the other. It still needs a search bot for Mambo to search IPB and better menu options.

Unlike you, I am building my website around Mambo so it is pretty straight forward. Adding Mambo after the fact leaves a few unknown variables in the equation. Additionally, I don't know much about IPB. But I do know that dumping the Mambo user control panel for the IPB one is best.

Give me some ideas on how you might implement Mambo and I'll let you know what I think.

vujsa

What I wanted to do is, organise the Classic tutorials and posts in a good fashion where they will always be easily accessible. I am still confused, but once I get time, I will think over it. The next thing is, I was thinking about combining the forums. Currently every change I make to any forum needs to be changed on the other site. Maintaining is also difficult. I was thinking of making a CHANELLED forum. Where, the main forum index will contain 3-4 Categories i.e. Xisto, Xisto, Antilost etc. Then members can go into any of these categories. Basically.. I just wanted to integrate all the sites and their information under one name. However, this is just a thought and I would very much like to know your opinion. This system has its advantages and disadvantages.But my main priority is, Getting the good information and discussions asidee so that they get the proper attention that they deserve. Then I had a thought about setting up an ADspace thing so that members dont use IMAGE servers for posting images. Which is not soo reliable.I think we make a seperate topic and discuss about things that need to be changed here :-)

Mambo Open Source (MOS) is a Content Management System (CMS) that is very easy to use.

The templates are about 95% html/xhtml based so they are easy to create.  More unique templates can be created with some knowledge of PHP.

Mambo is an open source application so it is free to  use.  There are hundreds of modifications available for Mambo as well.

Here is the default list of features:

Number of members and guests online.

News Flash box on front page.

Newsfeed Configurator.

Menu Manager for multiple menus in either vertical or horizontal listing.

Site Search - All areas via individual search bots.

HTML Editor.

User Manager.

User submitted news items.

Multiple content addition methods.

Categorized Web Links.

Categoriezed Content.

Categorize New Articles.

Archive for news and content.

Polls.

Easy Server, Database, and Site Configuration Screens.

Module, Component, and Bot Installers.

Easily turn off or on any module or component.

FAQ.

Multiple user levels available.

Member or Admin only options for all items.

View on certain pages only option for all modules and menus.

Module position control without editing template.

Copy, Create, Edit, Delete Modules

more...

The first modification I suggest it to turn off the default Web Links and use the Bookmarks component instead.  the Bookmarks component uses Yahoo style hierarchical categories for the links and you can even set your links (bookmarks) as private or import all of your bookmarks or favorites from your browser.  A single link can be shown in multiple categories as well without the need to submit the link several times.  In fact, each link may only be used once.  Auto validation of the link makes keeping track of dead links easy and the link description can be set to automatically get the meta description from the target webpage.

If you are an Simple Machines Forum (SMF) user like me, you'll be happy to know that there is more than one SMF-Mambo bridge availible.  I suggest using the one from MamboHacks.com.

If you want to use Mambo and SMF together with this bridge and you use Fantastico for installation, read this first.

There are many other great components availible as well as modules and bots that will make your website unique and interesting.

Give Mambo a try, I'm sure you'll like what you see.

Happy Content Managing, :D

vujsa

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use mambo open source, it is very easy add content and optimize site for search engines etc