xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
organicbmx

Multi Os Lan

i was just wondering how easy it is to set-up/use a multi OS lan?any tips/stories/warnings from people with experience greatly appreciated.i'm sick of having windows and all its hassle and want to use a mac for design work and possibly linux for experimentations! How easy is it to use a mac in a windows network because my parents business cant afford to replace the whole computer system, just would think of purchasing a mac for the next computer.especially now osX is UNIX - :D

I don't know much about Mac's but I do believe that you can connect your Mac to a Windows network without much problems.I do have some experience with Linux and I can tell you that this works perfectly. You need a package named Samba (SMB) and you need to have your kernel compiled with SMB support (I think most standard kernels already have this).You might need to do a little research on stuff like the Master Browser to get every finetuned...

Yes, some (maybe most) linux distributions are set-up from the start to connect to a Windows Network.I used Debian Woody, I had to partly configure it myself but Apt-get does a lot for me :D.