xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
OneStopReefShop

Sharing "domain" & "workgroup" Network 2 dissimilar Computers?

Hello All,I have what may be a strange question... hopefully the answer/fix isn't as strange. *grin*I have a home network. Works fine. Main computer hardwired, daugher's computer via Wireless. They work fine together.I also have been provided a Laptop from work. I'm able to sucessfully use my network wireless card and gain access to the internet at home.This Laptop from work... is setup with the Network ID, as a "DOMAIN"... to fully access the "Intranet" at work.As is normal for home usage... my main computer at home, as well as the daughter's computer as setup as a "WORKGROUP".The main computer, and daughter's computer are able to share folders and files.Is there a way, that my work's Laptop can also share files... instead of having to copy files to a thumb drive or CD to transfer them between computers? Or, in doing that, am I going to cause my work's Laptop to then not have access to my works "Intranet"???Any information (good, or bad) would be appreciated.Thank You,Ed

if you were to setup a separate network allowing you to connect to your home computer and your office's network, it would be possible to do all those without denying access to your work's laptop Intranet.

Notice from moonwitch:
don't make long quotes and then reply in a short sentence.

if you were to setup a separate network allowing you to connect to your home computer and your office's network, it would be possible to do all those without denying access to your work's laptop Intranet.

djatomicice,

I'm sure that I'm following what you are trying to tell me there. My home computers are setup on their own network. Both are connected via a wireless router (main computer hardwired, daughter's computer wireless connection) to my home "Workgroup", as their network.

My problem is... that since my work Laptop is configured to be part of my works "Domain"... I haven't found an easy way to do the file sharing between my home computers.

I'm sure there is a way... I just don't know what it is... and I'm hoping someone here can help me find it.

Thanks again for reading all!

P.S.

The above should read "I'm not sure that I'm following..."

Sorry... rented finger's here. *Grinz*

On the logon screen where it shows the domain name in a drop down box click on this and you should see "this computer". Simply logon onto the computer rather than the domain.

access domain with workgroup computers

Sharing "domain" & "workgroup"

Hi

How to access domain computers,using one work group system..Any settings...

Are mentioned..Pls reply me.

-question by vinay

Accessing a domain with computersSharing "domain" & "workgroup"

iGuest-vinay,

You can access domains only if you have the professional versions of Windows such as 2000, XP or Vista Ultimate.

But if you have one of these operating systems you can do this:

• Go to Control Panel and open System.

• Click on the"Computer Name" tab.

• Click on the button labeled "Change"

• Click the box that is next to "domain" and type in the domain's name. (it will ask you for a username and password at this point which you must use a username from the domain)

Denilis

-Denilis Liadon

sharing domain and workgroup computersSharing "domain" & "workgroup"

Read your January response which explains how a workgroup computer access files from the domain computer, (great explanation); I need to know how the domain computer can access the files of the workgroup computers.

thanks!

-reply by dtphill

I don't think the repliers really understand the question.  How often have you changed the domain on your work laptop to try and get your home network to work???  You don't do that.  Think of the hassle you will have to get back on the network once you get back to work...

There is a real simple solution to this that doesn't require admin access to your work domain.

I manage 11 Microsoft Server AD Domains and there are about 350 computers that are "not domain-ed" computers.

All you have to do to get them to talk to your network is change your home and daughter's computer to be in the workgroup that is the same as your domain.

Sooooo,

Let's say that your domain is ebmediagroup.Net (or EBMEDIAGROUP if you use the NETBIOS version of the domain name) (as is my own).

Change your home computer and daughter's computer to be in the *workgroup* EBMEDIAGROUP.  Restart both computers.  Now you will be able to access the same information on all three computers.

Use your best judgement, and figure out what your work's domain is (Right click on "my computer" and click properties.  This will give you your work's domain information.

Change the workgroup of your two personal computers to match your work's domain BUT MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE MAKING THESE CHANGES AS A WORKGROUP NOT A DOMAIN on your personal computers.

-reply by Chris VanderReyden

password protecting the shared network connectionSharing "domain" & "workgroup"

hi,

I want to ask is there any possibility that setting up a home network can be password protected? because I want my computer to view and edit the files of the other computer but I don't want other computers connected on my home network to be opened by that computers.

-reply by chaye14

WiFi or Ethernet?Sharing "domain" & "workgroup"

If you have a free jack on your router / switch then you can likely just jack it in.  If you have to use wireless then you can usually create a share on your personal machine & set it to allow read & write for the name of the other computer.  Then log in as a local user on your work machine &  find the shared folder under 'entire network' in windows explorer.  This way you don't have to compromise your work machine & your local is safe as the only permitted PC is the work PC by name.  btw, you find the name by r-clicking 'my computer', going to properties, & then to the 'Computer Name' tab.  It's the part before the '.Domain name'

Good luck! 

-reply by Comoloid

Sharing restrictions Sharing "domain" & "workgroup"

Hi,

Being able to view and edit the files on another computer in your network means that you "Allowed" other computers to edit and change your files when you "Shared" those folders. If you donbt want others to edit and change YOUR files then just share your folder without clicking on "Allow". These will only make other computers to "View" your files and shared infos, not edit or change them. 

-reply by Jon bonJovi