xisto Community
darkool

"small Secret" On Longhorn

The programmers say that he has a "small secret" on longhorn, that he is to be argued public. The Longhorn does not go to be based on NET Framework. In contrast of that many believe, the Windows Longhorn does not go to be based on NET Framework. Perhaps but it is not an bad notice! We wait that Net Framework comes enclosed in the COMPACT DISC of the Longhorn, but will not be in the nucleus of the operative system. Instead of this, Net Framework goes to be the base of other functionalities of the Longhorn, such as Windows API Platform (WAP).

Hm, could be interesting to see how they handle longhorn...I'm still kinda hesitant about it since they dropped the new WinFS file system (or whatever it was called) and have all that rights management stuff theh want to build into it :|

I had a copy of the beta version (well I still do) and when I installed it and entered the serial I recieved from microsoftbeta testing, it was all fine until I got the the log on logo screen, and when I clicked log in, it froze.Each time I restared I got the same error. I havn't tried it on more that one computer, so maybe its a hardware configuration error that it can't handle with my pc? I don't know.

I had a copy of the beta version (well I still do) and when I installed it and entered the serial I recieved from microsoftbeta testing, it was all fine until I got the the log on logo screen, and when I clicked log in, it froze.

Each time I restared I got the same error. I havn't tried it on more that one computer, so maybe its a hardware configuration error that it can't handle with my pc? I don't know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, you can't really blame them for that in my oppinion. It is a beta version so you can't expect to have no bugs or that it will even work on your system.

The latest beta builds show a lot improvement over the earlier ones (otherwise the situation would not be looking very good for Microsoft :D ).

I am kinda excited about the new 3D desktop but for the rest, I don't think Longhorn will be that mindblowing as Microsoft is trying to make it seem.

I had a copy of the beta version (well I still do) and when I installed it and entered the serial I recieved from microsoftbeta testing, it was all fine until I got the the log on logo screen, and when I clicked log in, it froze.

Each time I restared I got the same error. I havn't tried it on more that one computer, so maybe its a hardware configuration error that it can't handle with my pc? I don't know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Beta, huh.. I think that would mean that they don't have all the hardware drivers embedded in the installation as yet, huh??

Usually when OSs' freezes just after installation I remove all the communication adapters, like modems and Nic. Well, actually I would suggest moving all expansion cards and try to boot up again.

I really don't know anything about Longhorn. Though I'm excited to see what it can do. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be another Windows Me.. :(

well i have got the beta copy and it had worked fine with my hardware but it is very much resource hungry operating system. It normally uses nearby 340 MB -365 MB of system memory all the times. Its minimum requirement is 256 MB and if the system memory is less than min. the it doesn't install at all.Some of my freinds who only have 256 MB RAM have tried to install found it extremely slow on their systems and they have driver issues also.Sound and video drivers had not worked on their systems.

well i have got the beta copy and it had worked fine with my hardware but it is very much resource hungry operating system. It normally uses nearby 340 MB -365 MB of system memory all the times. Its minimum requirement is 256 MB and if the system memory is less than min. the it doesn't install at all.
Some of my freinds who only have 256 MB RAM have tried to install found it extremely slow on their systems and they have driver issues also.Sound and video drivers had not worked on their systems.

The recommended minimum requirements for Vista Starter is 512 MB of RAM and at least 800 Mhz cpu. That would mean in order to run it effectively a person would have to have at least 1 gb of RAM and who still runs an 800 Mhz. So yes a person could have the OS start up, but running a few apps at the same time is another issue.

I actually read in a recent magazine article that in order for VISTA of any version you should have a duo core processor. Is anyone running VISTA BETA 2 or RCI?

The recommended minimum requirements for Vista Starter is 512 MB of RAM and at least 800 Mhz cpu. That would mean in order to run it effectively a person would have to have at least 1 gb of RAM and who still runs an 800 Mhz. So yes a person could have the OS start up, but running a few apps at the same time is another issue.
I actually read in a recent magazine article that in order for VISTA of any version you should have a duo core processor. Is anyone running VISTA BETA 2 or RCI?

I've tried it. you don't absolutely need a core duo, but it's helpful. at this stage in Vista, anything to boost its slow speed.

While you are on the subject of .NET in Vista, I ran across this blog awhile back. I couldnât help but laugh. Apparently Red Hat Fedora Core 5 will have more managed code than Vista. Fedora Core 5 ships with Mono, a .NET platform for Linux. As such, three applications are bundled with the OS, Beagle, F-Spot, and Tomboy.

Read the entire article for yourself and have a good chuckle. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

The minimum hardware specifications for longhorn really bugs me, minimum cpu about 1ghz, a lot more than the previous versions of windows, neither computers in this household will be able to support it