xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tansqrx

How To: VB.NET Pop-up Docking Forms

Background

I recently had the need to add a few panels to a program that I have been working on. The panels did not need to be shown all the time and I didn't want to spawn a new form everytime I needed to see the extra panel. Additionally, I wanted the new panels to dock to the side of the main form so they would not cover the main content. My program needed three seperate areas, a debug window, options window, and of course the main window as shown in Figure 2.

Posted Image

Figure 1

After quite a bit of experimenting I decided to show/hide forms that were loaded with the main form. Another explored option was to use GDI+ to make graphic panels appear and disappear but in the end they were too complicated and I decided to go with the quicker and simplier approach. After getting several requests for code on this particular project I decided to create my own tutorial on how to make dockable pop-up forms in VB.NET.

Posted Image

Firgure 2

Structure

The project consists of three forms:

frmMain.vb - Main form for the project

frmDebug.vb - Add on pop-up

frmOptions.vb - Add on pop-up

The number of forms used can be modified. I started with just the debug form but later added functionality for an options form. The work of creating, showing, and docking the forms are split amoung the three forms.

frmDebug

If you have not already done so, the first thing to do is to add a new form to your project, in my case it is the debug form. The forms apprearence has nothing special about it except in my case I decided to remove the ControlBox from the title bar and set ShowInTaskbar to false.

In the frmDebug form create three global variables:

Private _myParent As New FormDim _bFormLock As BooleanDim ptFormLocation As New Point

The _myParent form represents a link back to the main form. This is need so that if the debug form is moved and the debug form is docked with the main form, the main form will also move.

_bFormLock holds a boolean value showing if the current form is docked.

ptFormLocation is a drawing point used for showing the location of the forms.

Next create two properties:

Public Property myparent() As Form        Get            Return _myParent        End Get        Set(ByVal Value As Form)            _myParent = Value        End Set    End Property    Public Property bFormLock() As Boolean        Get            Return _bFormLock        End Get        Set(ByVal Value As Boolean)            _bFormLock = Value        End Set    End Property

This of course provides a link between forms.

Add the LocationChanged function:

Private Sub frmDebug_LocationChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.LocationChanged        If bFormLock = True Then            ptFormLocation.X = (Me.Location.X - Me.myparent.Width)            ptFormLocation.Y = Me.Location.Y            Me.myparent.Location = ptFormLocation        End If    End Sub

The LocationChanged function handles the task of moving the parent form (frmMain) if the child form (frmDebug) is moved and the two are docked. In this case you will notice that the x location is the width of the child from minus the width of the parent form. This puts the x location the width of the parent form to the left of the child form. The y location remains the same so the two forms will be even on the y-axis.

frmOptions

The options form is identical to the debug for with one exception, the LocationChanged function positions the form to the bottom of the child form. Notice that the function is similar except the x and y points have been changed.

Private Sub frmOptions_LocationChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.LocationChanged        If bFormLock = True Then            ptFormLocation.X = Me.Location.X            ptFormLocation.Y = Me.Location.Y - Me.myparent.Height            Me.myparent.Location = ptFormLocation        End If    End Sub

frmDebug

The main form needs four buttons:

btnDebug - used to show the debug form

btnDebugDocking - dock the debug form

btnOptions - used to show the options form

btnOptionsDocking - dock the options form

Of course the main form is where everything is tied together. Add references for the debug and options form:

'Docking Forms    Friend WithEvents DebugForm As New frmDebug    Dim ptDebugFormLocation As Point    Shared bDebugFormLock As Boolean = True    'Options Form    Dim OptionsForm As New frmOptions    Dim ptOptionsFormLocation As Point    Shared bOptionsFormLock As Boolean = True

In my case I want the debug form to be shown as the program starts so I added an OnLoad function:

Protected Overrides Sub OnLoad(ByVal e As EventArgs)        frmDebug_Show()    End Sub

The function LocationChanged, moves both child forms if the parent is moved.

Private Sub frmMain_LocationChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, _                                        ByVal e As System.EventArgs) _                                        Handles MyBase.LocationChanged        If bDebugFormLock = True Then            ptDebugFormLocation.X = Me.Location.X + Me.Width            ptDebugFormLocation.Y = Me.Location.Y            DebugForm.Location = ptDebugFormLocation        End If        If bOptionsFormLock = True Then            ptOptionsFormLocation.X = Me.Location.X            ptOptionsFormLocation.Y = Me.Location.Y + Me.Height            OptionsForm.Location = ptOptionsFormLocation        End If    End Sub
The function is similar to the code in the child forms except the minus is replaced by a plus function.

Two seperate event handlers are needed for each form. The creation of the debug child form:

Private Sub frmOptions_Show()        If OptionsForm.Visible = False Then            If bOptionsFormLock = True Then                ptOptionsFormLocation.X = Me.Location.X                ptOptionsFormLocation.Y = Me.Location.Y + Me.Height                OptionsForm.StartPosition = FormStartPosition.Manual                OptionsForm.Location = ptOptionsFormLocation                OptionsForm.Width = Me.Width                OptionsForm.bFormLock = True            End If            OptionsForm.Visible = True            OptionsForm.myparent = Me            Me.AddOwnedForm(OptionsForm)            OptionsForm.Show()            btnOptions.Text = "Options <<"        Else            OptionsForm.Visible = False            OptionsForm.bFormLock = False            btnOptions.Text = "Options >>"        End If    End Sub
This handles the start location of the form and part of the docking buttons operation.

Next is the btnDebugDocking.Click event. This sets the property in the debug child form bFormLock. If true then the form will dock. If false the child from can be moved freely of its parent.

Private Sub btnDebugDocking_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, _                                        ByVal e As System.EventArgs) _                                        Handles btnDebugDocking.Click        If bDebugFormLock = True Then ' To Unlock            bDebugFormLock = False            DebugForm.bFormLock = False            btnDebugDocking.Text = "L"        Else            bDebugFormLock = True 'To Lock            DebugForm.bFormLock = True            ptDebugFormLocation.X = Me.Location.X + Me.Width            ptDebugFormLocation.Y = Me.Location.Y            DebugForm.Location = ptDebugFormLocation            btnDebugDocking.Text = "U"        End If

The code for the options form is once again very similar to the debug form. The only difference is in the x and y-axis point needed to place the options form. Instead of located to the right, the form is located to the bottom.

Creation:

Private Sub frmOptions_Show()        If OptionsForm.Visible = False Then            If bOptionsFormLock = True Then                ptOptionsFormLocation.X = Me.Location.X                ptOptionsFormLocation.Y = Me.Location.Y + Me.Height                OptionsForm.StartPosition = FormStartPosition.Manual                OptionsForm.Location = ptOptionsFormLocation                OptionsForm.Width = Me.Width                OptionsForm.bFormLock = True            End If            OptionsForm.Visible = True            OptionsForm.myparent = Me            Me.AddOwnedForm(OptionsForm)            OptionsForm.Show()            btnOptions.Text = "Options <<"        Else            OptionsForm.Visible = False            OptionsForm.bFormLock = False            btnOptions.Text = "Options >>"        End If    End Sub

btnOptionsDocking.Click:

Private Sub btnOptionsDocking_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, _                                        ByVal e As System.EventArgs) _                                        Handles btnOptionsDocking.Click        If bOptionsFormLock = True Then ' To Unlock            bOptionsFormLock = False            OptionsForm.bFormLock = False            btnOptionsDocking.Text = "L"        Else            bOptionsFormLock = True 'To Lock            OptionsForm.bFormLock = True            ptOptionsFormLocation.X = Me.Location.X            ptOptionsFormLocation.Y = Me.Location.Y + Me.Height            OptionsForm.Location = ptOptionsFormLocation            btnOptionsDocking.Text = "U"        End If    End Sub

Conclusion

I have found this code to be quite useful over several projects. In the future I may work on a GDI+ version of this project but that may be a ways down the road as this implemention works so well. Attached is the project that holds all the files needed for this project. Docking_Forms is written is Microsoft Visual Basic.NET 2003.

Try this if you want:

Public Sub infoTechShowForm(Optional ByRef _ParentForm As Windows.Forms.Form = Nothing)
        Dim _fInfoTechInfForm As fInfoTechInfProcess = Nothing

_fInfoTechInfForm = New fInfoTechInfProcess
        _fInfoTechInfForm.MdiParent = _ParentForm
        _fInfoTechInfForm.Show()
End Sub
-reply by dimitris

TO get a pop up window automatically in dotnet 2008How To: VB.NET Pop-up Docking Forms

I am developing a chat application in dotnet 2008,I have completed 90% of the work but I need a code or idea for generating a new message send by a new user in a popup window automatically

-question by vijayaraj