xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
saxsux

Massive Oil Pipeline Opens Oil starts pumping today

A 1000 mile long oil pipeline from the Caspian Sea to the Mediterranean Sea has been opened today. Oil will soon start snaking down the 42 inch pipe, through Azerbaijan, Armenia, Georgia and Turkey.

Throughout the ten years of its construction, nothing has been allowed to stand in its way. As The Independent so fittingly put it:

From forests to labour laws and endangered species to democracy protesters: all have given way to the costliest and most significant pipeline ever built.
The project, known as BTC, has driven a wedge between the US and Russia, triggered political unrest in the countries it passes through and their neighbours and sparked concern at extensive damage to the environment.

It is hoped that, when it reaches normal working capacity in 2009, the pipeline is hoped to transport one and a half million barrels of oil a day, and will keep doing so for aproximatly fifty years. Despite the rather long lifetime of the pipline, the Caspian Sea oil field itself is estimated to hold only 220 billion barrels of oil, enough to supply the world for only eight years.
The pipe itself is capable of holding a million barells of oil, owing to its enormous size.

What I was thinking is the enviromental impacts of this pipeline. As I mentioned earlier, nothing has stood in its way, and its construction has lead to a large amount of destruction too. Plus, more oil means more Carbon Dioxide emmissions.

Also, how would you feel to find a thousand mile long pipeline streching through your bacdk garden?

To be honest, I can't stand the pipeline. I can't stand it at all. What do you think?

Oil is something our modern lives cannot live without. But yes, I think there are probably some better ways than putting a huge plastic pipe through the environment. It would be good for draining, except when the oil comes it would be worse than just a normal stormwater flood.. And none of the caveclan live in Azerbaijan, Armenia, Georgia or Turkey anyway. So I agree, the pipeline is a horrible idea.

Oil is something our modern lives cannot live without.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see what you mean there. I really should have mentioned this above, but sometimes I cannot stand how much oil - and other resources like water, electricity, wood (paper especially) etc - are taken for granted. Just looking round and seeing how many things are made of plastic, and how little of it will be recycled.

Oil is taken so much for granted, when it runs out soon, the whole world will be put into dissarry. If the hydrogen engine has been invented by then, the impact may not be so great though.

Well, its a little sad to say, but that is what we need for now... it is something that is completely mandatory... I am sure the majority of people on this forum drives... and for their vehicle to be able to accelerate is by using gas and obviously everybody knows where gas come from...Hopefully one day they would find a new way to create enough energy to push a car... I couldve sworn a long time ago I heard of a research scientist hopeing to using hydrogen to push a car... What ever happened to that? I mean that seems to be a great idea, but the only problem I assume it would have would be the fact it is a driving nuclear bomb ready to explode after one accident... I also heard of another research ( it might be a bogus one ) about using old recycled newspaper to fuel a vehicle...We all know of electric cars, hybrids and all that.. but is there any other ones out their that would actually make sense to mass produce in every car at the same time help the environment and still give the power like gas from petroleum as well???Chinc hin

Yep, sorry - you're right.Burning Methane creates one carbon dioxide molecule and two water molecules.It would still be adding to global warming though, just not as much.