xisto Community
ndhill

What A Good Online Portfolio Looks Like...

I've been doing some searching in order to amass some great links from artists who use the internet to promote themselves. This stuff rocks plain and simple. Creating an online digital portfolio is by no means an exact science and that's why it's a good idea to look to exemplary sites such as these. Keep in mind, most of these fit into the concept art and illustration genres but their design format is pretty applicable... Either way, this is some pretty inspiring stuff. I'll add to the list as I find more.

Done Seegmiller
This guy is a prime example of how to apply traditional discaplines to the digital medium.

Andrew "Android" Jones
One of my personal favorites. His work is featured in the games Metroid Prime and Metroud Prime 2 by Retro Studios.

Coro
This guy kicks *bottom*, plain and simple. He's an incredably tallented painter.

Craig Mullins
This guy has been at the digital painting game since the beginning. He's the one that made everyone do a double take and say "What? You did that in PHOTOSHOP?"

David Levy
A very energetic illustrator. Very good with a pallet knife.

Daryl Mandryk

Kim Young-Sang

Dusso

Feng Zhu
He worked Star Wars III.

James Hawkins

Hardcore-Pix

Justin Sweet

Vance Kovacs

Wayne Barlowe

Viag

Well, I've been staring at the images of those links in pure amazement. I've also looked at your site :) You're awesome!!! (I will reply more later after a nap - my eyes are closing on me)Can I ask you a question? I would love to learn to draw better, mainly because I got this thing (best description I've found so far LOL)... I mean, sometimes out of the blue I can see a flash in front of me, like an image (sometimes it's a still, sometimes it's a movie) which is translucent over the reality.. I am not really making sense.. call it like an hallucination LOL But I would like to be able to somewhat draw those images, I don't know why, but I want to.... Any tips? (My main issue is people and their faces - my drawing also seriously lack depth)

Thanks for the kind words. The best advice when it comes to drawing, I think, is to draw from life and do it often. Life drawing is a discapline that applies itself to any artistic pursuit and will not only help you achieve a higher level of realism, if that's what you're into, it lends itself to a variety of other styles where clarity of your own vision is essential. You learn to sinc up what you see in front of you to what you percieve in your mind. Soon, it'll start working the other way around and you'll be able to produce on paper a more clear interpretation to what your mind conceptualizes. You just have to put in the hours. Go to a park, subway or anywhere else people gather and draw them. Don't just limit yourself to the classroom environment because the outside world has a lot of cool stuff too. It's just a matter of the time you put in.I hope that helps. :)-Noel

THank you :)

Ok I took my nap... See, take for example your drawing of the Mutant (mutant 3 - grub man) you have real texture in the drawing, The like skin with holes in it ... I think that's just awesome. Looks scarey too though :)

For some reason I have less issues with charcoal then with pencil :) I don't quite get that, also I seem to have an affection for monolith, don't know why.

When I was a kiddo, I didn't like drawing. I swear, I prefered writing and reading (I learned to write at 4). When I was 19, I took an overdose meds and nearly died (flatlined 4 times) and when I came by, I wanted to draw. LOL, Since I had voluntarily gone to the crisis center for 2 weeks and wasn't allowed to leave the ward (yeah I hated that) mom went and bought me some drawing stuff :) Now, I actually love drawing even though it's frustrating for me that I kinda suck at it LOL...

I will practice more (I also enjoy a good draw on the pc, see attached graphic which was done with the mouse LOL) You can probably see in the graphic I am pretty lousy at drawing LOL. I just doodled this. In PhotoShop.

Posted Image

The portfolio webpage usually reflects the style of art of the artist. It was always been like that because when I person has created his/her own style he/she applies it to everything. A good portfolio in my eyes is a portfolio with easy navigation, great explenation, and ofcourse good work!

Of course. That's really the final determining factor. What it's all about is the path of the least resistance to your viewer. Their are a lot of artists who hire professional flash animators to compensate for mediocre work and all they end up with is an expensive site that no one really likes to spend too much time at. Flash animation in this sort of context will certainly drive me away unless the work is good enough and to make it worth enduring. For this reason, only the big wigs like Patrick Tatopolos and Sylvain Despretz can get away with it. But still...moonwitch: I actually prefer charcoal over graphite as well. Pretty much anything is better as far as I'm concerned actually. Graphite is hard to change once it's down. It's sticky and shows up as a sickly pale metalic gray next to a much richer black you'd get from Charcoal or Nu Pastel. But yeah, use whatever works for you. It's nice to play around with a lot of stuff. You ought to try Cretacolor aqua-monoliths too. They're solid sticks of water color pigment that behave like colored pencils when dry but can later be manipulated with a wet brush. You can alse dip them in water and get much more substantial lines out of them. Great stuff.

Those links make me question my drawing skills. Which aren't so impressive, but anyway! I'm going to follow your advice as well... For some reason I've been trying to draw everything by memory and hardly draw things and faces I see... Must remedy that.

Go for it man. Your ability to reproduce from memory will increase exponentially as you do. No one's memory is perfect and usually we'll instinctually try to fill in the gaps that our memory misses and we end up creating an image that is actually a composite rather than a coherent whole.You guys all ought to start posting drawings sometime. This forum isn't just for art created digitally. Traditional and digital work both come from the same source.

I've been doing some searching in order to amass some great links from artists who use the internet to promote themselves. This stuff rocks plain and simple. Creating an online digital portfolio is by no means an exact science and that's why it's a good idea to look to exemplary sites such as these. Keep in mind, most of these fit into the concept art and illustration genres but their design format is pretty applicable... Either way, this is some pretty inspiring stuff. I'll add to the list as I find more.

Done Seegmiller

This guy is a prime example of how to apply traditional discaplines to the digital medium.

Andrew "Android" Jones

One of my personal favorites. His work is featured in the games Metroid Prime and Metroud Prime 2 by Retro Studios.

Coro

This guy kicks *bottom*, plain and simple. He's an incredably tallented painter.

Craig Mullins

This guy has been at the digital painting game since the beginning. He's the one that made everyone do a double take and say "What? You did that in PHOTOSHOP?"

David Levy

A very energetic illustrator. Very good with a pallet knife. 

Daryl Mandryk

Kim Young-Sang

Dusso

Feng Zhu

He worked Star Wars III.

James Hawkins

Hardcore-Pix

Justin Sweet

Vance Kovacs

Wayne Barlowe

Viag

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Another decent one is here. Greg Martin is my inspiration and his site is well laid out, and very entertaining!

The artwork of these artists listed is incredible. I mean what i would give to be able to create amazing pieces of art like those with a computer. I love drawing, sketching using the traditional method eg pencil paper and paints but to learn this would be great.I love Feng Zhu's work and also the work of david levy.Oh well i can only wish that one day i'll get to that standard.