xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nightfox1405241487

Stubborn Laptop Cant see computers on network

I have a laptop that can't see other computers on my network. I try to map a local drive Z: and I go under My Computer > Tools > Map Network Drive > Browse > Entire Windows Network title > MSHOME and it is right there it says that it doesn't have permissions and to contact the network administrator (which I guess is me).I have ran the network wizard on it with no sucess either. I know it is connecting to the network because I can see it on my router's connections screen. My other laptop which hosts Z: connects fine and so does my other computer.That laptop is running Windows XP Home Edition, for you information.I have tried, and I know it isn't my firewall, because I have checked that...Any ideas?Thanks![N]F

Hi nightfox,Make sure your network addresses are set correctly (ie. the same).. then..Make sure you have "file sharing" enabled (ie. turned on).Hope this helpsRGPHNX

Hi nightfox,

Make sure your network addresses are set correctly (ie. the same).. then..

Make sure you have "file sharing" enabled (ie. turned on).

Hope this helps

RGPHNX

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh I have checked this! It is when I click to see all computers in the workgroup`MSHOME' that it says I need to contact my network administrator!

Hey, lookie! That would be me! lol. I know it isn't me... must be Windows or something because when I got my new laptop right out of the box, it got configured and works with my network... it is just that one pesky laptop that is having all the problems...

[N]F

Ok... I just messed around with the laptop and I think the wireless settings aren't reconizing my network. All I did was take a LAN cable and plug it into my router (my router supports up to 4 non-wireless devices) and then it saw the network. I was then able to map Z: and now it works. Also, anyone know how I can change wireless settings for this one laptop? I can't have LAN cables running all over! lolThanks![N]F

I have a laptop that can't see other computers on my network. I try to map a local drive Z: and I go under My Computer > Tools > Map Network Drive > Browse > Entire Windows Network title > MSHOME and it is right there it says that it doesn't have permissions and to contact the network administrator (which I guess is me).

I have ran the network wizard on it with no sucess either. I know it is connecting to the network because I can see it on my router's connections screen. My other laptop which hosts Z: connects fine and so does my other computer.

That laptop is running Windows XP Home Edition, for you information.

I have tried, and I know it isn't my firewall, because I have checked that...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

[N]F

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm....I'm not really an expert on networking or anything like that, but I have one question and a few other ideas.

1) What kind of connection is it? Wireless/Direct Cable/etc.

2) I don't know if this will help or not, but perhaps make sure that you have file/printer sharing on. I'm guessing you do, but eh, who knows.

3) You don't have a network password or anything, do you? I know there's an option to enter a network/administrative password somewhere.

Again, these are kind of stupid, routine questions, but I personally sometimes overlook them.

EDIT: Wow. I need to type faster or something.