xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ebbinger_413

HP CD Writer Not Recognized Properly wont read cds either

i recently got an hp cd writer from one of my friends hp computers (they got a new dl dvd rw :)) and she said it was having problems saying that it wasnt being recognized by windows properly and all that stuff, and she also said that when she went onto hp they didnt have any newer drivers than the one that she had. well...i said id take it anyways thinkin maybe i could get it fixed somehow, i plugged it in and it is not recognized properly, it only comes up as a cd drive in windows explorer. but that is what my other cd burner has also been doing, so i figured maybe it will still work, but i put a cd in it and it wont read it or w/e. it is making me mad, everything recognizes it, device manager says it has no conflicts but it wont read any cds or anything. also i have 2 hd and 2 cd drives...that is four ide (max) but in device manager it says i have another one (a storage device - intel atapi sumtin - i have p4 mobo and processor) so i disabled one of my hd but it still didnt fix it ( i was figuring maybe the fact of it having more than max ide that it screwed it up....) idk...help please...im running windows xp professional.

looks like it would help, but it doesnt...i have done all those things and it doesnt help...the drive might be dead - at least this one - but my other burner isnt recognized by windows as a "burner" but still burns cds...i suppose i should just throw the drive away (but its a 24x burner :))

My best bet is you have a dead drive. I have seen drives that have bad heads and or defective boards that get recognized by a system and look like they are functional.But it can also be good and you have the wrong jumper settings. Meaning if it’s old even though it may have a cable select jumper it will not work with that setting, and I have proven that. You would have to set the jumper to slave or master to get it to work.This is how you would do the real test. First remove all the cables from the drives.Just use one cable and hook up your boot drive (c:) as a master and the cd-rom as a slave. Make sure the jumpers are set correct. If the drive is good it will work no questions asked. If it does you can then try the cable select setting and see what happed, still with the two drives.If it is dead it can make a nice ornament. Good luck

My best bet is you have a dead drive.  I have seen drives that have bad heads and or defective boards that get recognized by a system and look like they are functional.

But it can also be good and you have the wrong jumper settings.  Meaning if itâs old even though it may have a cable select jumper it will not work with that setting, and I have proven that.  You would have to set the jumper to slave or master to get it to work.

This is how you would do the real test.  First remove all the cables from the drives.

Just use one cable and hook up your boot drive (c:) as a master and the cd-rom as a slave.  Make sure the jumpers are set correct.  If the drive is good it will work no questions asked.  If it does you can then try the cable select setting and see what happed, still with the two drives.

If it is dead it can make a nice ornament.  Good luck

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ah, yeah, its not jumper - the drive is set for slave and my other cd burner is set for master...those are the only two drives on the cable...the drive is junk i think we already accomplished that much....i tossed it out yesterday and bought a new dvd dl burner online for 51 dollars