xisto Community
kurt18th

Audio Editing Programs Which are the best?

It really depends how much you're expecting to pay and the type of work you want to use them for. For studio type work, where you record, put the recordings together and modify them to make a track you'd be expecting to pay about US$300 +. At our studio we use ProTools, which is a pretty good program.

If you just want to do more basic stuff, like make the track louder here and there, fade in or out and add a few basic effects, there's plenty of free programs out there. One of the most popular ones is Audacity, and another one I like for its sheer simplicity is WavePad, but WavePad only works in Windows.

can someone tell me what the best audio editing programs are? if you can, could you put the prices as well, personal opinions, etc...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well unless you are strictly a professional I would use Audacity along with Lame (which encodes MP3s) and they are both free. I ofer them both on my web site and you could get them and see if that is what you are looking for. I use them to take on air recordings and clean them up and then compress them to MP3s shich is a great file savings without almost no noticable quality difference.

You can use this link Utilities Downloads and look for Audacity Audio Editor and Lame MP3 Encoder.

I have GoldWave, I believe its a free downloadable program. But I hear Cool Edit is good. Really I mostly use CakeWalk Home Studio for most of my audio editing, but I only have that because I use it for recording stuff when I write music. I like it better, but its pretty expensive, so I would stick to the free or cheaper programs.

can someone tell me what the best audio editing programs are? if you can, could you put the prices as well, personal opinions, etc...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I found that the best audio editing and mixing(5. 1, 7.1) post production software is Steinberg Nuendo. You can check out proces for Nuendo and a bunch of other software and hardware at

http://pcaudiolabs.com/

I have tried Pro Tool, Sonar, Cubase, Logic, Cakewalk, etc and found Nuendo to be the most versitle.

PC Audio labs also has great support. check 'em out.

:D Second Reply and response AUDACITY https://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/ along with LAME encoding used by Winamp are the best free and without a doubt the BEST regardless of cost (Download them)

Just because something is free doesnot mean that it is garbage...

I could give a list of FREE programs that outdo most of the ones that charge you for the privlidge of owning them...but that might look like spam! :P

Audacity along with LAME is great - and open source - I use Audacity for cleaning up tracks as I have no other use for it.If you don't want to use Audacity for some strange reason you could use Nero Wave Editor, but there's no point.

Audacity along with LAME is great - and open source - I use Audacity for cleaning up tracks as I have no other use for it.

If you don't want to use Audacity for some strange reason you could use Nero Wave Editor, but there's no point.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where can I check out Audacity and what is LAME?

Audacity is a free open source and professional grade audio record edit program but due to licensing reasons it can not be packaged with an MP3 encoder but if you get LAME which is also free you can then edit and save wavs as MP3s or many other audio formats. LAME is the same engine that is used by WinAmp to encode their MP3's so why not have the same software as WinAmp.

I offer both of these Utilities as downloads @ Download Page Link.

They are quite small programs for what they do and the price is great FREE!

I personally just use the incorporated into Nero. Its a good program never had any problems with it has always doen what i needed to do. This is purely simple audio editing ive done nothing major.

well... that depends of what are you trying to do ! if you are not interessed in pro editing, i think audicity is your best option ! but if you want to go pro, you should decide over Cubase and Coll Edit Pro (now Adobe Audition) ! But, when you wanna go pro, you have to take some money out of your pocket ! I think Audobe Audition is the best, it has all the filters available in a real studio, and with it you can achieve pretty much anyithing once you get more experience and find out how the software works ! You can mix, edit, masterize, apply filters and efects and so on ... ! I must advise you that it can get VERY CONFUSING at first, but you musn't let that scare you because the software is as hard to use as you make it ! If you want to do some advanced stuff, you need some knowledge, but the essential thing is that it is easy to learn how to get around the software !