xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ninjamunky

How To Fit Page To Window?

OK. So, I made a splash, I sliced it up and exported it. So now I have an html file with a table in it. But, it's too big for browsers. What I was thinking is that I've designed the site at 1024x768 area resolution as most people have that resolution for their monitors. But, how would I make it fit all browsers the same without resizing their browser window?

See graphics cannot be adjusted - unless you create then separately for different resolutions and create style-sheets accordingly. But your over-all page layout can be made to resize on its own depending on user's resolution.. Even this has to do with CSS style-sheets. Vujsa has designed a variable width template for Mambo CMS - I guess you can use his style-sheet to shape up your page too.. You should PM him to grab a copy of that template..Regards,m^e

Or you just make your site small enough to fit into the smallest screens... *grin* That would be around 600px wide... To cater to the 640x480 people. Technically, that would not be a good idea because then the people using the huge *bottom* monitors would be squinting like hell.So yeah, make your site variable. If you're using a table, make the width of your main parts a percentage of the screen, so it stretches with the browser. If you're using CSS, also make sure the width is a percentage of the screen, and use float more than you use absolute positioning. That's just the most basic of variable-width sites. If you're using graphics, it's good to have a mix of fixed width and variable width sections.

Also, to get your borders to stay away from the side of the window, using margins. If you use apply a 5px margin to a floated <div> using CSS, it will stay 5px away from the side of the window no matter what the size is. Hope that helps.