xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
warriors1405241493

Question On The Web Host

i have created the webhost and i notice that inside the host there are many files and folders which were created by default like mail,tmp, public_ftp etc. my question is can all these folders be deleted?Another question is where should i upload the files to, i mean which folder so that when i type http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, it will show my webpage. and also what must i name my index page as?

NO! Do not delete anything in your rote folder(the rote folder is the one your talking about)!!All your content should be in public_html folder, your index should be named index (index.htm, index.html, index.php, and so on depending on different things. Im guessing you should use index.htm)These folders are what you get when you have a proper host, with pop mail and such. You dont have to mind other folders than the public_html folder. in the public_html folder you can delete everything BUT the cgi-bin, you should leave that, but It wont do any harm if you delete it, unless you have scripts and such.But just dont delete it. Hope I helped.There is a folder called cgi-bin inside public_html.

If you're are NOT using FrontPage extensions, you can safely remove ALL the directories EXCEPT the following:

etc

mail

public_html

public_ftp

tmp

The link named "www"

And any files that start with a "." like .fantasticodata, .trash etc

You can safely DELETE all the rest of the files/folders BUT NOT the one's I listed above.

Regards,

m^e

I'm just curious; what happens if you delete one of the folders which you aren't supposed to? For example, if you deleted the mail folder, what will happen? Will I not be able to use and access my email accounts anymore? If I deleted the folders, is it reversible? Can I re-create the folders?

Not a big problem if you delete your mail folder. Just all your stored mails will be gone forever. The process is irreversible. When you log back into cPanel and use the webmail option again, your mail folder will be recreated on it's own with a fresh set of folder information - but same directory named "mail".

If you delete the link named "www" - even that can be recreated using the symbolic link definer in *nix named link.

However I'm not sure about the public_html and public_ftp folders - although logically it wouldn't be a problem. Apache is configured to point to the public_html folder in everyone's home directory. If apache can't find that folder - it simply won't be able to display the page. It just points to that folder by default, and is not LINKED anyhow to it. So even after deletion, if you recreate it manually yourself, I guess it should work. Coz, upon next http request, it'll find that folder in place again.

**** man. i deleted all of them how? i have no idea why when i create the account, under the disk usage it put this 48.43 / 20.00 MB. i have not even put anything inside and it already over the limit? how can i put my files in then? dats why i deleted all the things inside. can someone help me!!

Cool. I've always wanted to know what files and folders I could delete from my account. I like my site structure nice and neat...By the way, can anyone explain what are the files for? As in, what folder is for what purpose? That'll help a lot instead of just seeing random files and folders that are not yours...