xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
flex737

Longhorn 0r Mac Osx Tiger ?

So does anyone around here get the developer's copy of Windows Vista (the new name, I'm still so used to calling it Longhorn) and can tell us more about it? We're all still just speculating aren't we?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be frank .. i had a copy of it and i tried installing ... " TRIED " .. lol .. well i couldent get to the desktop of Beta 1 .. y ? .. simply because my graphics card wasent supported .. ahh .. well after i reinstalled XP and got to a little google search spree .. i found info about my graphics card drivers not added to the systems code. Well i really duno much about programming .. but here is what i did ...

My graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440 i guess thats pretty much enuf to run a computer and a few games. Well when the final installation got over .. My screen went blank .. as in my LED on the monitor started to blink .. thats all .. now this means that its not getting any inputs from my PC .. so i restart it and go into safe mode ... there i try installing the latest BETA test drivers Nvidia just came out with for the Vista Beta 1 .. i tried installing that .. and it gave me an error : The required drivers for your system cannot be found. Fine .. i mean my graphics card isnt that old. newayz .. i used my current installation of drivers that i use with XP .. because the WINHec version that came out had the same problem .. and i installed my XP drivers and it worked ..

I tried the same trick here .. but after the installation and a loooong time to restart ... The LED kept blinking .. so well thats my sad story with a Vista OS .. here is a screen shot of my desktop when i had the WinHec version installed .. i removed the wallpaper cause it royally slowed my PC ..

Cheers

Okay, I'd like to know something....With the jump into the 64-bit world that's been trying to happen lately...why do I STILL see the X86 being used for everything in these upcoming OS'es. Let's take Apple...after releasing their true 64-bit computer, they've decided to take a step back to a 32-bit processor, from Intel no less (yuck)...and if Windows Vista/Longhorn is, from what I have heard, supposed to be Microsoft's dedicated 64-bit offering for the Windows world, why is it running on an X86???Let's see...we've been using the 32-bit x86 since the late 80's...It's been time to ditch this stupid processor family for a while now. I'm sick of seeing nothing changing but more Hz, and little else. I'm hoping I see IBM's Cell processor appear in desktops...then it's bye-bye Intel :D

Funny OS X, is actually built from the Mach and the FreeBSD. It is not built on Darwin. Darwin is for Mac OS 9 and under.Anyways, I like TheKnowledge's post because it pinpoints most of what I usually say but not all. I agree w/ his points because I have been using Windows for 3/4 of my life. I started to start using Linux on my desktop/laptop since 2004.xboxrulz

Correction, xboxrulz....Darwin has nothing to do with OS 9 or any precursors to that. Darwin itself is built from FreeBSD and the Mach kernel. And Darwin is the underlying OS that is present in every single installation of Mac OS X.Check out the Apple Developer Connection site, and notice how every release of Mac OS X has it's own corresponding version of Darwin that it runs on. Mac OS X is simply Apple's distribution of their open source operating system, Darwin, bundled with their closed-source suite of applications that you know as Mac OS X.