xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Xacrosancxion

Blu-ray Disc Anyone heard of it?

I heard that apparently, the Hollywood studios have said that they will not release movies in this format unless all companies involved in making blueray drives agree to never realease a blueray burner to consumers.

haha, nice fact madcrow! what dya think will happen?

Just as we all finish getting are dvd players they come up with a new type of dvd. The player will also probly play regular dvd's.

I agree, the technology is moving very fast and i see many of my 'techonologically interested' relatives with stocks of disc players, storage, burners, recorders and many more :) one of them even has a laser-disc player!

I'm not sure about the film studio thing, I think it's just a rumor... But about the PS3, 50GB games on one disk... Sounds nice. Yet another reason to ignore xb360 and go with Sony. The Japanese actually know what they're doing when it comes to gaming.

It seems like they just came out with the DVD. Now the BlueRay? I think technology is moving really fast. That's ok, though. It just means that there are cooler gadgets to play around with. :) I don't know if I will use the new disk anytime soon, though. It may be pretty expensive and I don't have any HD TV's or anything....- AlPal

DVDs are almost 10 years old... That said VHS lasted about 20... Still, there are no real plans to ship movies on Bluray discs. At the moment PS3 is the only thing that's planning to use it. That said, 50GB games sound nice.

I was watching Discovery Channel a month or so ago (yes, Discovery Channel is the source of half my knowledge :)) and they were talking about going beyond HD tv. Apparently there is a film studio in Japan that has developed Super High Definition. Wait, even better, I'll link the video for you. Click here then click Japan Week -> Thursday -> "High Definition and Then Some"

Anyways, as home entertainment systems get bigger and bigger, more resolution is demanded, and this entails more storage space. After a while, DVDs may not have the necessary storage capacity as we keep striving to improve our viewing experience. Blu-ray disks give opportunities for these new technologies to be viable, and leave room for more improvements. Our standards keep going up, and our perceptions of what is 'normal' for video and sound quality in movies and tv keeps changing. Maybe we don't need blu-ray disks to meet our current standards, but I guarantee we will in the future.