xisto Community
mimi_m

Future Of Webdesign: Html & Css Or Xml & Xsl? Which type is more used/prefered?

Ok, maybe that true, but I can't find any books about it, do you know a good site? And why I never saw any site programmed in XHTML? I'm considering to change, but if nobody use it for real sites why should I do it then? I know for a fact that it isn't very handy to use two languages for the same thing at the same time so if I want to use XHTML I have to stop with HTML and that's also not what I want. Just a little note: I never saw a post of me so much quoted as the first of me on this topic. :D:D

but you don't have to stop using HTML!. HTML is the fundemental language for web design/programming. without HTML you would not be able to build a website. look here: XHTML

also search the forums there are a couple or great topics about XHTML. the site i listed gives you all you need to know. using XHTML is all about conforming to a new standard of web design, making it better for all.

lol. my debate with warbird has gone a little off topic for this topic. warbird: if you want to know more i think a new topic should be made where people can help with examples and things. you should be ok now after the link i have given, that should solve your reservations. :D

Can someone give me a reason why I should use XHTML instead of HTML? I really dont see the big difference except for having to add a / at the en of tags that dont needs to be closed in regular HTML. So, please, whats the difference? What can I do with XHTML that cant be done in HTML?

"What can I do with XHTML that cant be done in HTML?"you can't do anything with XHTML than you can with HTML. The reason many websites are now using valid XHTML and CSS is that they want to become better web designers and make the experience much better for all. Like i said using XHTML is all about conforming to better standards, if you dont want to be bothered with the latest web standards then dont both with XHTML. Its not like not using XHTML would make you or anyone a bad designers but the standards which most people now follow make a good programming practice. "I really dont see the big difference except for having to add a / at the en of tags that dont needs to be closed in regular HTML"that is basically, boiling it down to its simplest form, it! adding slashes to certain tags.XHTML compliant coding helps in developing cross-browser compatible websites. i am sure that most people have seen websites which look good in IE and crap in Firefox or on a completely different computer. basically it helps people see your site the way it is SUPPOSED to be.

XHTML and CSS are here to stay for a good while.. for one thing, becuase of a point already noted that browser can parse XML/XSL differently... and just like Javascript (I know thats a very different comparison but bear with me here) you're gonna get attack of the browser wars with a certian Redmond giant addeding in "special" features that are incompatible with others.. it's happened also with CSS and colored scroll bars.. well the list can go on... :DBut I do think that perhaps eventually XML/XSL could take over,, but by then we'll prolly have some new-fangled markup language / script / interface hybrid or w/e to take over that..It's a vicious cycle.. but an in interesting one at that :D