xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kevlar557

Linux Compatable Modem

I had the sudden urge to connect to the internet on my linux machine. Unfortunately, the modems I have, linux would not detect. Is there any modems out there that my linux machine will detect? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to be more specific on the type of modem you have, there's far too many to know what one you have. In this case I'm assuming an internal PCI 56K modem, since this is most common.

You can check out http://www.linmodem.org/ for a list of compatible modems. All external serial modems are compatible with Linux and more reliable than internals.

It's still possible that your modem does work on linux, but you'll need to get the drivers for it, check out linmodem or your modem vendor's website to see if they have drivers for it, you can also find drivers by knowing what chipset is used on your modem.

You may need to search the internet to find drivers for it.

Cheers,

MC

Most low cost modems are known as winmodems. These rely on Win32 to do all the smarts for the modem, the hardware is rather primitive.

Most "full modems" are usable. Best to try various systems with a Live Linux Disk (i.e Knoppix on CD" and see what works and what does not

I had the sudden urge to connect to the internet on my linux machine. Unfortunately, the modems I have, linux would not detect. Is there any modems out there that my linux machine will detect? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Linx will work with almost any hardware modem out of the box.if you post your "lspci -v" output as root, maybe someone will be able to find a driver for you.

Linx will work with almost any hardware modem out of the box.

if you post your "lspci -v" output as root, maybe someone will be able to find a driver for you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that. I'm still just a XP user in a linux world. If you can tell me how to do that, it would be appreciated.

open up a command line terminal, type "lspci -v" then push the enter key.