xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
qwijibow

Has Anti-p2p Gone Too Far !?

In my country, it is legal to download an mp3 of a song that you already own.for example, i own a song, but i want it in mp3 format for my mp3 player.it is legal to download that song.this is exactly what i was doing using giFT on the fastTrack (kazaa network)its quite common for anti-p2p companys to put fakes on the network,but one German server did more than send me a fake, it also started a DDOS attack on me !!!i rarely have any ports open, and its jus a normal home computer, so i didnt set my firewall or intrustion detection systems to detect denial of service attacks againsed me, who would want to DDOS me...anyways, shortly after beginning the download, my CPU useage shot to 100%and accelerated from 1.0Ghz to 2.4Ghz.i say giFT was to blame, and ran netstat and tcpdump.several ip addresses of the same domain were sending me SYN TCP packets on my open port.in other words, a SYN flood distributed Denial of serivce attack.i had to hard block this ip range in my firewall, and a few minutes later, the attack stopped.has anti-p2p gone too far ???Did you know, that in holland recantly, a tax was passed on MP3 players, elspecially large ones such as the iPOD.he tax depends on the size of the storeage, but as reported on the news, the currently largest iPOD costs the american equivalent of $200 EXTRA !!!which goes directly to the record company's !!!!They make it illegal to download music,, But they make you pay for it anyway !!!!Guilty untill proven innocent !I dont steal music...but if they fined you $200 americal extra for an iPOD and assume you will steal... well, that just p1sses me off.hopefully, this guilty till rpoven innocent will nto find its way to England.

god damn! i hope it doesn't find its way here (england). Assuming is to make an *bottom* out of yourself/themselves - get it? *bottom*-uming! no?...how dare they start to attack you! or anybody for that case. is it even legal? as you were downloading (legally) an MP3. I would not even know how to stop such an attack or figure out what the hell was going on lol.i rarely download if ever any songs. besides i only buy from artists who i think really deserve it not just anyone who becomes a pop or whatever star. i really think they went to far with this. do you think it was automatted or was there a person on the other end with big black rimmed glasses with the lights off and a jug of coffee or coke?i'm a little lost for words actually...luckily you were in the right though and smart enough to be able to stop what was going on.

thats horrible...all these crazy people doing this just cuz its fun. the internet is supposed to a fun place, and with all these new viruses and stuff the you have to watch your every move. i do download songs every once in a while, but have never heard of such a thing like that. i would go crazy if that happened to me. yes, good job in stopping it and i hope it doesnt happen again. and whats up with this legal crap. its not like theyre gonna stop people from downloading anymore. its always gonna be out there...we download cuz most of the time, we only want a song or two, and not have to buy the entire cd, ya know? and i cant believe or government anymore: guilty till proven innocent...what a load of crap, imo.

Hmm, some artists don't care, some do.Either way if they start doing that with p2p they'll have to start locking up the police and government, everyone does it and I'm sure they have kids who do the same thing.& If they shutdown a major p2p like they did with Kazaa, it will only spawn another 3 or 4 anyways.

The whole "anti-piracy" thing is kind of dumb. It's kind of dumb to compare people who download/provide copies of items with people who would sink ships and steal actualy physical stuff... Especially, if the anti-piracy folks use tactics like viruses and launching attacks like that. Who seems to be the bloodthirsty bucaneer here, anywayz.So yeah, the anti-p2p people have gone WAY too far. Of course p2p sucks anyway. Just use IRC f-serves, private servers and yousendit. It's faster anyway. If you MUST use p2p transfers, set up a private Direct Connect network that you and your friends are the only people who know about it. If the ISDA/RIAA/MPAA don't know about your servers, that can't hack your PC from them, now can they?

Ah ha! Well, it's not just in Holland that they're doing that crap. Belgium too. They (government) passed a law which puts extra taxes on computers, because of the piracy. So firstly, Belgium has taxes in 2 rates (for the non business people).. Luxeous thing - 21% and a non luxerious thing 6% (most stuff is 21%)...Now on puters and electronica they first passed a law for recycling extra's. So there's a list which says how much the recycling costs for the certain item and that's getting charged to the buyers (on top of the 21% taxes). And for computers, there's an extra 14% taxes to cover costs of fighting piracy!!!!)That makes 35% taxes on computers!!!!!!! And people wonder WHY Belgians are now getting their pc's in Holland or Germany (Germany is best)??? I HATE MY GOVERNMENT! And yes, this is a rant LOL.It's just, yes piracy happens. But is it fair to punish everyone?? And it's not just this. The Belgian government sent out a note to all Belgians, announcing that they've been working on deals with M$ and Adobe for special software to have ALL official contact (letters from the government, tax reports etc) go through the net ONLY!!! Thus, they first up the taxes on computers to 35%, then are going to force us all to buy a computer and have internet... Don't I have a nice government NOT!

35% taxes on computers !!!so lets say you buy a top of the range PC, (over here in England that would rpobably cost £1000)Then decided you were now obliged to get your hands on £350 worth of pirate software, your already paid for it !!! why go into a shop and pay for it again ?then you get caught, but contest the fine and go to court..i wonder how the judge would find you... guilty or not guilty ?

I'm from turkey, our government hasn't got a punishment for illegal internet (I mean they don't care about mp3 or divx film) So I'm really grateful for my government :D , Also our taxes are high enough 18% for computers (just foods are 2% others are 18%) I've top of the range computer and I paid 2150$ us. for it. :((sorry for bad english)