xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
webguide

Firefox Gaining Market Share

Could firefox become the browser standard? IE had 83.7 per cent of the market for this month, down from 84.85 per cent, while Firefox grew from 4.23 per cent to 10.28 per cent. What would this mean for the broswer market?

It may take a while.. I actually do see the beginings of a sort of revolution where Firefox is concerned. There's a whole bunch of interest across all verticals in industry commerce and personal usage in products - 'other then microsoft'... but as usual, there's always a big BUT involved.. The trend so far for most businesses, is to utilize supported hardware and software.. this is beacuse there's always someone to pass the buck on, to fix the problem should one arise. Due to this, microsoft and software manufacturers like it, have actually created a captive market that is fixated in a 'single' solution with multiple products all supported by a single vendor.. and although its a more expensive business model to work with, for a big business, it sort of makes sence. Firefox is the begining of an eye-opening experience to business users of software products (other than the masses of private users)... from here.. users will slowly migrate to open licence software products.. especially Linux. The confidence in free software will come about as soon as there are a bunch of companies that aggressively sell themselves as Linux (and other open lisence products) support guys.. at a low cost.. it's only then that the insecurity of 'Support' will begin to be erased.As of now.. Firefox rocks...!! :P

Although I'm a big fan of Firefox and simply loves its many features and solid security over Microsoft's Internet Explorer, I don't think that Firefox can become the dominant player in the browser market. Firefox will continue to capture market share from IE, but I doubt if it will displace IE as the dominant browser, even after many years. Microsoft is a multi-billion company and can easily spend lots of money on developing IE, while Firefox is made by the Mozilla Foundation which may be handicapped by a lack of resources.