xisto Community
konedima

Whats The Best Tool For A Beginner? whats the best program for a beginner?

I would either recommend Visual Basic or Java.Visual Basic: A good simple Object-Oriented programming language to start with. You can add the images you want and just add bits of code to them. Of course, games created in this won't be anything flashy, but the experience is useful.Java: It's what I learnt at uni for first year. It's pretty handy and very useful when being taught a lot of new concepts as they are easier to test out and try. The coding is fairly easy to grasp and resembles C++ heaps, which is good for me I guess as I hope to pick up that language somewhere along the line.Still, it's up to you what you try, but these two languages are good to start with. If I were to recommend one of these over the other, I would say Java if you are willing to put in some time to learn about programming and produce better games or Visual Basic if you are after more immediate results. The quality of games made in visual basic probably wouldn't compare to GameMaker though (Based on it's screenshots), but I don't know much about it so I'll leave the decision up to you :D

I think the best launguage for developin games has got to be BASIC. It's much more simple than C++, and is usually inexspensive. Most BASIC programs use Direct X too.

Check out:

Darkbasic - Good Points : Inexspensive, simple, lots of customer suport Bad Points : Relatively 'Low Quality' graphics along the lines of PS1 styles.

Blitz - Good Points : Relatively Inexspensive, simple, Good graphics Bad Points : More exspensive than DarkBASIC, forums are not as practical

But any BASIC language is ideal for the beginner. Explore the DarkBASIC website a bit, and then see what you think. Any further questions feel free to e-mail me.