xisto Community
jet

Blog/journal Software

I'm looking for a blogging software thing with a fully customisable theme.. Most of you would know about diaryland, forumer, lj and that kind of stuff, where you can sign up and choose one of their themes or type in your own? I would like one like that, because a friend and I have just designed a new website and its not exactly a blog but blogging systems would suit our needs well. We have a layout too, but all of the wares I've looked at so far come with preinstalled themes and you can't make your own :P

I'm not exactly sure what you want, so I'll just post some links to various ones...

As you have mentioned, there are services like diaryland and livejournal that don't allow you to customise the theme, next comes the question, do you want your blog on your own website, or on a "community" site? Because I know Livejournal and Xanga are in essence, community blogsites, where you are directly connected to other Livejournal and Xanga users, and it's made very easy for people to check out your blog and for you to check out their blogs.

The other way to go about it is to have software that has either an editing page elsewhere or on your own server. This type of blogging software requires you have a website of your own, like maybe an Xisto account. These are the ones that actually allow you to customise the theme, most of them, if you know, how, can be customised almost completely. One that I can think of that has an editing page elsewhere is Blogger (actually that is the only one I can think of... heh heh), and the ones that you'd have to install on your own server range from the really powerful ones like MovableType and Greymatter, to others like the much touted easy-to-use Wordpress which replaced b2. When you have an Xisto account, you can check your cPanel, under Fantastico, and check out the blog softwares there, which includes Wordpress, as well as Nucleus, b2evolution and PMachine Free.

Personally, I've used Greymatter, MovableType, Wordpress, Blogger and Nucleus, and I'm currently going to try out b2evolution... Actually, since I need very specific things from my blogging software, I'm thinking of giving up altogether and blogging manually...

Oh yes, and whilst you're at it, check out OpenSourceCMS and try out some of the blog softwares for yourself. Since you said that it's actually a website, not a real blog, you might also want to check out some of the CMS like [url="http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and [url="http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. Play around with the different systems to find the perfect one. I know I'm still trying...

Ok, sorry I wasn't clear enough before. I want the type where you install it to your own server.. thanks for the links, I'm trying out Greymatter.

My favourite is Nucleus, it has a great online community and is very easy to set up and customise through the CSS style sheet. It is very easy to create multiple accounts for the same blog or even multiple blogs and overall I like the plainliness and the room for customisation that it provides.

I would recommend that you use Movable Type which is simply the leading blogging software in the current market. Many professional and commercial blogs are powered by Movable Type. It has many powerful features, is highly-customisable and supports many wonderful plugins developed by fellow users of Movable Type.

I would also recommend MovableType also but just to let you know MovableType can be difficult to install and use (just depending on which server and what features you use) I had to use it for a class and only about 10 students (out of about 35) was able to use MovableType without any problems (luckily I was one of the Lucky 10)................ but don't let my post stop you from trying it./... .........If you decide to use MovableType at Xisto and you are having problems loading it just PM me and I can try to help you... Because I had some trouble loading MovableTpye on the Xisto Servers......