xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jet

Microsoft Windows Longhorn

I actually have faith in them, its there last real chance to shine through on the desktop market, Longhorn will be special alright, security etc will be much improved and red screen is just a tweak but Microsoft wont die easily and will take one last stand, and they *might* just do it.

And heres my reasons why linux isnt a viable alternative *YET*

*Most people struggle to click, they wont understand what init and kernels are

*/dev/hda1 will confuse too many people

*./configure isnt as good as an exe :)

* Its a lot harder

If linux could clean up a bit to make it so, the underlying stuff is gone then it can keep up, otherwise, Microsoft will keep the lead a lot longer.

But saying that, I love my fox, and wouldnt switch back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, Linux is more difficult to use, especially if you are at the console. But it's getting much better. More and more people are switching too, especially outside of the U.S. where not everybody can afford a 150$ operating system. I was a pretty fast typer when I started using Linux, but now that I've been using Gentoo for over a year, I'm blazing fast, especially at the console. There are several distributions that make Linux almost as easy as Windows. I would recommend Ubuntu Linux (https://www.ubuntu.com/) if you're looking for something easy. There is a price associated with ease of use as well. You will always have more power at the console than any GUI can give you, ever. There's just so much you can do at the console that haven't been incorporated into a GUI system. Take piping for example, you can use it to take the output of one program and immediately feed it to another. The only way you can do this with a GUI application is if the developers build in support for the specific program or by saving a file and then opening it in the second application later. I don't mean to make another OS war thread, but Linux is on it's way, and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. It is more difficult to use and for some people it's too much, but I do believe that Linux is growing exponentially and eventually it may be the OS of choice.

End rant. Thank you for putting up with me.

Well, about longhorn, the only thing that I have read/seen about longhorn is that it has this funky bar on the right quarter of the screen that's just wasting more space. I think the start bar and icons are a waste of space, but what I saw looked even more teletubbie than XP. I'm minimalistic and Windows just does not suit minimalists.

that's definately a great point. xp looked so bubblegum it drove me nuts. i got rid of the crappy xp gui for the W2000 gui with some custom colors and all that. at least it has options to get rid of that. but xp made a big break into consumer computing cause for some crazy reason a lot of people liked it. i htink it was just cause it was comfortable and NOT computer like. y'know? that made people less nervous. but that doesn't make it an inherently good system, although it made big steps into people's comfort zone, which for microsoft, is really important. gotta keep thier huge market portion.and i agree that windows is definately not necesarrily the "best" system ever, but like i said, people got comfortable and they'll use it. GUI is easy, yeah, you lose functionality, but most people don't need anything more than windows gives them. people who do know how to work around the things windows lack, or they use alternates. kinda just the way the world works i guess.Ray J Gentry IV