xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ndhill

Political Work In Progress...

Here's my latest. It was done for a design class. It was a rare oppurtunity to tear up a digital canvas as I'm stretched a bit thin right now. The semester is wrapping itself up though. I've been sculpting a lot lately, mostly stone carving, so I'm at least gratefull that I've found something new that I like. I'll have to whip out the ol' digital camera and post photos sometime.

Anyway, this piece was done fairly quickly. Probably about 45 minutes. That's why it may look like it doesn't know if it wants to be a quick sketch or a full-blown painting. I decided that the rough look suited it and called it done. The image itself is meant to be ambiguous and I didn't want to draw any concrete connections to the Iraq war since It's meant to be a statement on war in general. On one side, there's that true-blue shining idealic cause and in reality there's only ugliness and distruction. Let's face it. No one truly believes that they're a bad guy till they see themselves in retrospect as the Germans later did after their defeat in WWII.

Constructive criticism is welcome as always.

-Noel

Posted Image

Hi,Like the picture.........I am in one of those strange places where I appreciate the technology that war creates, fosters and develops, but like most I don't like the though of it being used for the pourpose for which it was originaly intended.Any way, do you take commisions?Regards Cass

Thanks.I know what you mean. There's also always a strong sense of bandwagonism. It seems that reason in general is under the heaviest attack.Yes I do take commissions.If you'd like to contact me, I can be reached at noel.hill@maine.edu

Yup. It's all digital. I use Corel Painter and a WACOM tablet. You can get an idea of how I work in this tutorial that I posted here a while back.

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/81897-topic/?findpost=1064288723

Unfortunately not much has changed since then and I'm still way too eratic for my own good.

Fantastic! And your tutorial is great, too. It helped me figure out some things I've been wanting to try. I really like the way you create texture. I'm going to practice doing base coats until I figure out what looks good.

I'm a hack only doing concert posters and web graphics. I'd love to be able to create art, like you do.

I put some of my posters here. http://forums.xisto.com/topic/83632-topic/?findpost=

Here's my latest. It was done for a design class. It was a rare oppurtunity to tear up a digital canvas as I'm stretched a bit thin right now. The semester is wrapping itself up though. I've been sculpting a lot lately, mostly stone carving, so I'm at least gratefull that I've found something new that I like. I'll have to whip out the ol' digital camera and post photos sometime.

Anyway, this piece was done fairly quickly. Probably about 45 minutes. That's why it may look like it doesn't know if it wants to be a quick sketch or a full-blown painting. I decided that the rough look suited it and called it done. The image itself is meant to be ambiguous and I didn't want to draw any concrete connections to the Iraq war since It's meant to be a statement on war in general. On one side, there's that true-blue shining idealic cause and in reality there's only ugliness and distruction. Let's face it. No one truly believes that they're a bad guy till they see themselves in retrospect as the Germans later did after their defeat in WWII.

Constructive criticism is welcome as always.

-Noel

Posted Image

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it's well done and thought provoking. I don't support the war at all for the reasons that this painting demonstrates.