xisto Community
eyvind

Table Layout Vs. Css Layout So using tables is considered bad style?

It is aspacer, it adds transparent space (it's invisible), to pad and precisely position elements. SPacers are used on many image intensive (especailyl table based) websites, usualy name spacer.gif or something like that, it is just that, a spacer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

okay...*still trying to understand* so it basically is used instead of cell padding? and teh cells of the table conform to the size of the spacer? but the spacer gif is only called once in each cell, does the image tile the cell like a small image does the background of a web page?

The cells that the spacer is in are otehrwise empty, it is in there to give the cell some substance, without substance there is no cell. The point of the cells around the middle cell is to give the middle cell a border, so the cells are given a background color to be the color of the border. These cells need something in them to really be visible, so a "blank" image is put in each."does the image tile the cell like a small image does the background of a web page?"No, it does not tile in the cell, think of it as a compeltely blank picture that just is there, isn't visible at all, it is onl;y there so that the cell has something in it, so it can be seen.Hope that helps."In my opinion, using tables still the best way to manage your'e web page design..It's also make use of cross-browser..so you are not to worry what type of browsers you're client will use.But actually, this forum gives me a hint that i can also create a site more on CSS, that i will try soon. "You can use JavaScript to check what browser your user has and use a custom CSS style for that browser, one that shows the content teh way you want to. You really should use CSS, but if the page is just a small page that will never be expanded upon or not part of a bigger website, go ahead and use tables.

The cells that the spacer is in are otehrwise empty, it is in there to give the cell some substance, without substance there is no cell. The point of the cells around the middle cell is to give the middle cell a border, so the cells are given a background color to be the color of the border. These cells need something in them to really be visible, so a "blank" image is put in each.

"does the image tile the cell like a small image does the background of a web page?"

No, it does not tile in the cell, think of it as a compeltely blank picture that just is there, isn't visible at all, it is onl;y there so that the cell has something in it, so it can be seen.

Hope that helps.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Evyind! much appreciated =D

I much prefer CSS over tables any day. CSS loads quicker, and you're able to do sooooooo much more with CSS than tables. A recent thing was what Chiiyo posted about rounded corners using only CSS, no images or anything. That was very nice. I'm a CSS lover and stay away from tables unless I need one for information.