xisto Community
Kyle Perkins

20 Years From Now... Where do you see humanity?

I agree, Y2K was really silly, but you have to wonder...everyone did everything they could to prepare for Y2K; everything from buying special programs, backing up files, increasing the redundancy of networks, power grids, increasing the speed and adaptability of computers - then nothing happened. What if everyone doing all they could to avoid getting bit by the so-called Y2K bug is actually what prevented it from happening? Could we have actually avoided catastrophe by going through all the hassle improving technology?Anyway, back on topic, I don't think we'll have colonized any planets, but I definitely think we'll have sent a manned mission to Mars, and possibly have a colony on the moon.-Kyle

In the short term I don’t think any thing will really change. Technology will increase, but not at a speed that will transform the world over night. Global warming will steadily wreak a greater toll on the West and bring developing countries in Africa to their knees. Everything we want will cost less, everything we don’t want but have to pay for will cost more. I also think crime will increase.I agree with several of the previous posts that at some point over the next 25 years a terror group, or 2 states facing off will unleash a WMD. I shy away from suggesting it will be a nuclear device directly, since there are other weapons (bio and Chem) with a similar destructive capability. I also think that the next 25 years will see a manned mission to mars. I also think construction of a moon base will have started but I don’t think it will be American but Chinese. I do think we are on the verge of a material revolution however I don’t think it will affect us as much as it sounds. I think that with in 25 years we will start seeing TV’s that are 1CM thick and that all manner of devices will have pull out flexible screens. Once mobile device have the GUI we all need I think it will create the mobi-net. The Mobi-net will be a dynamic network of devices that maintain Peer2peer connections with devices around them (no service providers, contracts or charges). I believe that in the distant future we must adopt a unified existence with out boundaries where every individually is afforded the same rights and opportunities.I have come to think that there are 2 major "things" that will stand in the way.1. Religion. Religion has almost always been the cause of conflict, Richard the Lion Heart on the crusades, Egypt and Syria against Israel, St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre. It is religion that is currently fuelling the spate of terrorism that is being rained down on the west, since it was the west that supported the creation of Israel and still (through the U.S. selling arms such as F16s etc.) provides support for the continued occupation of Palestine.It seems to me that in the west religion is dieing, I don't know anyone who actively practices religion. I know plenty of people (friends and family) that go to church, or the temple, but during debate it seems that they are driven more by habit than by real informed choice or faith. In the Middle East the opposite seems to be the case. More and more young people embrace religion (and I am talking mainstream not fanaticism) to gain some kind of meaning in their life.1. Money. The future is like a game of monopoly, we all keep going round and round driven by money, it like Bitter Sweet symphony "Your a slave to money then you die". I am currently following the thread of thought that capitalism is what will eventually destroy the world (not in a literal since) by continually separating people. People will always seek money because it gives them power and thus divides people, it also gives them more rights in as much as they can hire lawyers to enforce there rights if needed.It is also the West’s apparent affluence that enrages the fanatics. It is the West’s “need” to recover money from the poorest people that through 3rd worlds dept that keeps 100’s of millions from having the same chance of life as the rest.I think that these 2 will eventually lead to a conflict that will shape the future of the human race. I don’t think we can continue to support segregation and our exponential growth. Segregation means that the wealthy and powerful will have all the resources and the poor will be faced with poverty. This can only lead to discontent and war. My hope is that when the revolution comes (and I think that within 500 years it will) what emerges at the other side has a single unified believe structure that values each individual on an equal basis. I worry that it won’t. I worry that what will emerge will be an Empire dominated by power and greed, with the oppressed dealt with brutally and out of site of the “enlightened” population on the winning side.

I would have to say that in twenty years...Virtual Reality will be (excuse the pun) reality, it will actually exist.Talks about colinizing a planet maybe, but no where near enough technology to actually do it.Hopefully the "War in Iraq" as the news channels put it, will hopefully be over, and the UN will have will have changed again just like they did after WWII. (League of Nations)Japan will continue to excel in the area of technology, and will slowly take over the autmobile market completely in america. Laptops will run for days at an incredible speed, with ultra bright, super thin, plama displays. A PC today will look like an old IBM that runs Windows 3.1!!!A DVD will hold 500 Gb - 1 Tb of data.Like I said before virtual reality will exist, and you will have to buy a Playstaion Virtual or an Xbox Xenon Virtual 360 to play all your favorite games.I think thats about it... oh and Google will have taken over the world, and will be working on taking over space exploration, and mind control!!!(This is not meant to be mean to google, I love their services and will continue to use them everyday.)

Sorry for not sticking this in my previous post, but I sorta just thought of it.

I have come to think that there are 2 major "things" that will stand in the way.
1. Religion. Religion has almost always been the cause of conflict, Richard the Lion Heart on the crusades, Egypt and Syria against Israel, St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre. It is religion that is currently fuelling the spate of terrorism that is being rained down on the west, since it was the west that supported the creation of Israel and still (through the U.S. selling arms such as F16s etc.) provides support for the continued occupation of Palestine.

Absolutely. I have nothing against anyone, or any religion, but think that religion has spawned nearly every major conflict this earth has seen. If a group thought another group's religious views were savage, ignorant, or just annoying, they would to and conquer. Also, religion held science back since man first started to think "Hey, maybe that lightning bolt isn't sent by a god..." Many great scientists, Galileo for example, were persecuted for their beliefs by a religion. I think as science progresses, there will probably be religion to stand in the way.

2. Money. The future is like a game of monopoly, we all keep going round and round driven by money, it like Bitter Sweet symphony "Your a slave to money then you die". I am currently following the thread of thought that capitalism is what will eventually destroy the world (not in a literal since) by continually separating people.

I think money has definitely done this, but unfortunately I enjoy having money, and don't think capitalism will go down without a fight.

-Kyle

Argh, another thing I just saw.

Laptops will run for days at an incredible speed, with ultra bright, super thin, plama displays.

That would be absolutely great...but not feasible currently, and not for a while unless some different power sources are developed. Currently, the best battery money can buy is a rechargable Lithium-ion battery, or Li-ion. Lithium is currently the best metal for a battery, and we aren't exactly going to find any new elements any time soon.
There are of course fuel cells, which I've heard are a promising power source, and have heard that a cell phone company and laptop company have created some experimental products, but don't know much about fuel cells. Anybody care to find out?

-Kyle

Yeah religion really is becoming huge (well it has ALWAYS been huge). It's kind of sad that wars like the crusades start up over something like that. But religion is already beginning to start conflict in the world and our government. It will be a huge issue in the future, I'm sure of it.

I SEE HUMANITY IN FLYING SOLA POWERERD CARS and giant houses people having giant corparations robots runing around robots woeking as human helpers cars that can fly go under water and and people going into outer space people lving under water and on diffrent planets

I was watching Futurama and started wondering something similar, but if we will still be here in 1000 years, and what it'll be like. The average height of humans 1000 years ago (or something) was 4'10Now look at us. I was taller than that when I was 10. Now imagine in a thousand years how tall we might be. A 10 year old may be as tall as our normal person....Or something.But another question is will we still be here in 1000 years? Will we not die from war, the ozone layer being destroyed, an asteroid hitting us, Nukes?I'm weird.

damn, 20 years from now. There are two sides that i see. The one that i hope what will happen and one is what might happen based on what is going on right now. I hope that in next 20 years, Africa will no longer suffer from poverty, or at least it's decreased highly.

NASA has already conducted an experiment where a group of people lived in a controlled enclosed environment for a year. They simulated conditions similiar to those on mars and had to grow their own food and take care of their waste. NASA has announced plans to try and establish a similiar base on the moon, and eventually on mars.I think human colonisation of other surfaces is going to turn into a reality soon. The stuff we say will be real.....battery run cars, robots etc is because this is what we have heard from the media recently....but human colonisation of planets has not been given attention due to its proximity with science fiction which somehow remains a taboo with the working society.way i see it is tht by 2050 we will have bases on both mars and the moon, and further conflicts might not be for oil or land on earth, but for resources and minerals on other planets. if the US has a base on moon let us say then till another country established one of its own the US owns moon's resources, and then if India for example gets its own base, how will they decide the sharing? Being the only species in this solar system with ability to transport long distance, we are destined to spread across the Sun's family at least.

Sorry for not sticking this in my previous post, but I sorta just thought of it. 

Absolutely.  I have nothing against anyone, or any religion, but think that religion has spawned nearly every major conflict this earth has seen.  If a group thought another group's religious views were savage, ignorant, or just annoying, they would to and conquer.  Also, religion held science back since man first started to think "Hey, maybe that lightning bolt isn't sent by a god..." Many great scientists, Galileo for example, were persecuted for their beliefs by a religion.  I think as science progresses, there will probably be religion to stand in the way.

-Kyle

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i have nothing against religion either but let us settle this here that before Christ the word 'religion' did not exist. It came about as a need to differentiate between Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. Before that religions in India and China went hand in hand with scienctific development. It is written in the Vedas that "blind faith in God is not acceptable, one must understand why things are such and such to understand the mind of God and only then begin to believe in him." they also say that "whether one calls the wind a wind god or merely the wind, he is talkin of the same thing and no view is wrong"

even atheists were respected in those societies and there was no such thing as the Law of the Church, every man could find his own way to the truth.

Science was put down only after Christianity, not before it. And in the B.C. eras wars were NOT fought for religion, but for territorial supremacies. Even the world wars were not fought entirely for religion. The first was a result of european rivalry for colonies in africa and asia and the 2nd was fought for one man's belief of 'racial' superiority,not 'religious'