xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hihihihi88

Typography An important thing of design

"Typography" can be a very visual thing in Graphic design. It can not only refer to the actual meaning of the words but also convey the different tones of a message. Different tone can interpreted the context differently, right? For example:In general, with the use of typeface, serif font is more classic and conventional, and san serif is more modern and opened; bold is for more emphasis, all lower case is more friendly, all caps message is much harsh or angry, etc.Have you ever applied these elements to your design? And is it helpful?My simple Typography design . It was my assignment when I learning design .

I feel that Typography is an important element of web design. The use of certain fonts can be used to convey a professional image, which is very important for companies, as well as other impressions such as cool and funky, and so on.It would definitely be very useful and helpful towards your web design if you decide beforehand the image that you wish to convey to your website's visitors, and select the fonts that can create the effects.I want to add that a visually appealing and well-designed logo can help to convey your message and image across as well.

"Typography" can be a very visual thing in Graphic design. It can not only refer to the

actual meaning of the words but also convey the different tones of a message. Different

tone can interpreted the context differently, right?

For example:

In general, with the use of typeface, serif font is more classic and conventional, and san

serif is more modern and opened; bold is for more emphasis, all lower case is more

friendly, all caps message is much harsh or angry, etc.

Have you ever applied these elements to your design? And is it helpful?

My simple Typography design . It was my assignment when I learning design .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your posts are awesome! I simply love reading them! Anyway, I think that the typeface used on a web site is very important. I think that it should not be so small that it is hard to read, which I find often on personal sites made by people who think that it is "cool" to have the tiniest font possible on their web sites. I do not know why squinting is cool, but... :P I find the sans serif fonts, like arial, verdana, helvetica, et cetera, to be much easier on the eyes for some reason. I think that it gives a web site a fresher look and makes the reader more intrigued to read the material rather than material written in something like times.

I feel typography is a very integral part of a webpage, I myself suck a lot at picking out the good fonts.

Rather, I know what good fonts look like but I am horrible at finding the right ones. I am a very indecisive person, so its extremely hard for me to settle on any fonts in general.

I would sometimes browse away hours at daFont flipping through the top 100 page to find one that would suit my work. Most of the time I would get lazy before I get anywhere and just settle on a pixel font on the corner, unobtrusive and really just uncessary.

@lesmizzle: I know exactly what you are talking about, espcially girl's webpages (i'm not sexist, just stating facts here) they are usually pink on top of a random picture or hot pink background making it impossible to read anything and it also burns your eyes, why canât everyone make their words easy to read like Maddox? They make it so you have to highlight the words, copy it and post it on a notepad just to figure out what is going on o.O

Typography is, as others have said, one of the most important elements to a design of any type. @Dream ~ couldn't agree more, I'm soo sick of seeing junk designs where it's hot pink on a fuscia background. Excuse me a moment while I mop up the blood my eyes are secreting... And the same can be said for tiling backgrounds. I see it all too often where it's some 100px X 100px image tiled 100 times throughout the background, and it's in colors that you couldn't possibly hope to match a text color to that would lend to easy reading.As for the pdf that's attached ~ what, may I ask, is the point of it? I mean not to be rude, but all I see there are press alignment marks (I forget their exact name as it's been almost 5 years since I was doing printing) and I wonder what it is you're trying to show people.

I have over 400 fonts on my computer right now and let me tell you its not fun picking out one. Although I enjoy randomly firing up Photoshop and just messing around with different fonts to make logos. You get a lot of experience this way I think, and basically when I will need to do a logo I will know what goes with what. Its only the matter of looks and appropriate style. For example I usually dont see comic sans font on proffesional websites but rather arial or something else that suites the purpose of the site. Also we cant forget that we can make fonts look more interesting by layering them with different colors and such...

Maybe Skate Team :You are great and right concept of typography . It is sure that comic sans is always giving us a funny and causal feeling . Different web site or different logo of different company also have their own style , it sholud using a suitable type face to setup an image . Which type face is the best suit ? I think no one can tell us , but , we can finding the answer from our experience .

I don't like comic sans, no idea why, it just doesn't suit my own style.I have moved away from pixel fonts into different san serf fonts because it conveys a sense of professionlism or something.I learned a crap load about fonts in journalism class but those are more about catchy titles and not really about web design so yea, I'll just go with the conservative fonts ;D

Typography is DEFINATELY one of the most important aspects of design. DEFINATELY! It's so simple to create an entire design by simply using typogrphy. Infact, there's an Australian design company that is based around typography (it's called the LetterBox I think). You can totally make or break an entire design simply by font. Alot of people underestimate how powerful a simple element like type can be. DONT. Simplicity is always the key to a good design, and font is the simplist thing you can use while enforcing such amounts of meanings and connotations. Nothing (except color) works as well.

Like I said, a font can make or break a design, so I feel it's absolutely necessary to find the right font when designing. I agree with 'Maybe Skate Team' that it's a hassel to go through hundreds (sometimes even thousands) of fonts to look for the perfect one, but it's worth it.

I never use comic sans, by the way. I agree that there's something about it... not quite right, lol. I dunno, it's too common and not conservative enough, or something. But you can find some REALLY good fonts out there that work for different designs.

(not to sound redundant, but more to emphasize the fact...) Do Not Underestimate the use of Typography!

I found a few examples of some of my past web designs and general designs that I really focused on using type in (they're just a few screen caps I took):

sceen cap 1

cap 2

cap 3

cap 4

cap 5

cap 6

cap 7

I dont think these designs would have worked as well if i had used comic sans instead... :(

yes typography can be very interesting aspect of designing, you must choose apropriate font, size and scale of that font, and use it in best possible way in interaction with photos and graphics or such.... you can find more info about designing on my homepage. Link is banner in my signature.

typography is definatly one of the main elements of graphic design and therefore web design.it is true that chosing fonts is the most common way of displaying words but i think typography is more than just finding and using a good font. typography is about using the shape of the letter, in whatever font, and making it into some thing more, that relates to what you are expressing.for example: <3 this is very simple and not quite the perfect example, but it shows how characters can be more than they mean. that can mean: less than 3 / heart / possibly ice-cream??it is easier to see the effect of typrography and graphic design as a whole in comsumerism, which as im interesting in both i find a bit sad, and i hope people understand what i was tring to sayalso i HATE comic sans - the worst font ever. ugly, common, bad to read, unprofessional. if someone tried to sell me something no matter how good the product if it was advertised with comic sans i wouldnt even think about it. :D -- there it is again, i dont particually like the yellow emoticons - im not a member of the simpson family!! but i wanted to express that im not a pedant and i was being slightly jokey about that last comment. --