xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kevlar557

Dual Booting Linux ... or is it dual booting windows?

whew, then I guess that means I either have to make a FAT32 partition somewhere on my storage drive or wait until they finish cracking through NTFS. That's almost depressing because someone will have to work on WinFS once it is released in 2006 or later. P.S. xboxrulz, I find it EXTREMELY ironic that you would be such a huge linux buff and yet seemingly love the xbox. Unless your only use for an xbox is for a subsidized linux box. In that case, you would love the xbox for the sole purpose of being able to screw with MS's product value. But if you actually let yourself enjoy the xbox platform and games then i think you would have a few internal issues to work out wouldn't you?

[offtopic] I just find that Microsoft Games Studios and Microsoft 2 separate companies. One makes great games while another makes crappy software and charges the user double the software's worth[/offtopic]WinFS has been cutted out of Windows Vista (formerly, Longhorn)xboxrulz

winFS is just a seach indexing system built ontop of NFTS.the current linux NTFS driver will continue to work, even when MS introduces the winFS patch (if ever)the NTFS driver has been making steady improvements,Last time i used the driver, it was fully ccapable of reading NFTS, and writing was partially supported, but not recomended.Im sure they will crack it soon.The windows machine my family uses bereaks down quite a-lot, and none of them are good at remembering to backup, so i kep windowsXP on Fat32 to i can retrieve homework / emails etc etc.As for the games comment, i didnt think MS made games... I know they bought HALO and sold it as there own (similar to MS-DOS, lol) but i dont think that counts. lol..anyways, lets try to stay on topic.

I installed Mandrake on my machine. I simply left some unpartitioned space on my hard drive when I was installing Windows XP.When I was installing Mandrake, it asked me where to install the system, I chose custom partitioning.It also installed the bootloader for me, so I get to choose which OS I wish to boot into.However, I would recommend creating a separate /boot partition.

I just picked up a copy of SUSE enterprise server (at least I think it's called that). Anyway, I want to put it on my nice machine, which happens to have a installation of windows XP kind of buried in it. What I want to do is to be able to have the linux on a seperate partition as my windows, but be able to boot either or at start-up. Also, I need to be able to re-partition the partion that I have now, without reformatting it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

download a copy of partition magic and get to partitioning! This will compress your current windows partition, and chop off whatever u need at the end. This way you wont need to reformat this partition. Toss in the linux installation media and away you go. Be sure to install on the ext filesystem (as this is your linux partition). Dont forget to make a swap partition too, (good rule of thumb is to make it double the size of your current total memory. i.e 128 megs of ram = 256 meg linux swap partition.) There are a number of boot loaders you can choose from to select the operating system when you boot up. The default boot loader with suse is (lilo) i think. But i would look into grub boot loader (it has a very nice splash screen you can customize.)

:D