xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
X-Wes

Super Mario Bros. The Platforming Classics

Is this the right forum to be posting about Super Mario Bros. games?

Years back, during the height of Nintendo's popularity and before Sega's fall, games like Super Mario Bros. were all the craze. This game, like any other, needs to have a specific type. Thus, we have a classification of games known as the platform games.

A platform game is traditionally a two-dimensional game where the main character jumps from platform to platform fighting enemies. The character is seen from a side view, and the screen scrolls (typically) from left to right. Some of the titles in this category are instantly recognisable: Super Mario Bros. series, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Mega Man series, Pitfall!, Prince of Persia, Ghosts n' Ghouls series, Sonic the Hedgehog series, Kirby series, and many others.

As games moved to a three-dimensional world, platform games adapted to the new space. 3-D platform games typically feature a third-person view centered behind the character with--of course--platforms onto which the main character must jump. Some games of this type include: Super Mario series, Sonic the Hedgehog series, Kirby 64, and some others.

Anyone who is to simply walk into a gaming store is unlikely to ask, "Show me your platformers section." Sure, there are first-person shooters, role-playing games, and even the loosely-defined "adventure" games into which platformers are lumped. However, there is no longer a specific section for platformers--nor is there a market for such games.

I'm sure that many of you who have played video games will remember seeing or playing your first Mario games. Many of you will have seen Sonic on sale in stores, or have heard a friend rant and rave about a Mega Man game. However, those days appear to be fading. No longer do we have the 2-D games that we've seen years back. Mega Man games continue to sell; Mario Sunshine still entertains some disappointed core fans. However, there does not ever appear to be a game that can have the honour of being called Super Mario Bros. 4.

But if there is, I will be the first to buy it. And when we have all played it, the Xisto forums will have a place for platformers.

You heard it here first. ^_~

You know there was a super mario bros 4 right? it was called Super Mario World in America since we were in this stupid treaty with the nations and peace throughout the world. In Japan it was called Mario bros 4 there have been plenty of games that are platformers ^ ^ infact there was a hl mod and an hl2 mod that had platform, it might have been a moderate commando type. But it was entertaining for 3-4 weeks.Oh and if just so you know, there is going to be a Super Mario:Source that is coming out some time this year hopefully that will allow you to be a fps mario :rolleyes: intresting huh? AND a 3rd person from behind :) Getting even cooler? AND FINNALY XD XD XD OLD SCHOOL PLATFORMING XD XD XD Dosen't it just make you want to buy HL2 if you don't already own it? I know it makes me want to buy it a second time just because I can, although I don't have any money. This mod will be way way better than the one Halo1-2 mod that a group of people and I are modding for the game. Although our mod is going to be awsome and probaly one of the best mods there are (Yeah right my mod for HL1 sucked so this one will probaly suck as well :)).

Wow, what an in-depth reply! I can't complain at all though--it was fun reading about all that. Quite a bit I didn't realise, actually!

I never knew that Super Mario World had been originally named Super Mario Bros. 4. After all, Super Mario World was destined for the Super Famicom (Super Nintendo outside Japan). In any case, there actually were 4 Super Mario Bros. games in Japan. They were named Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario Bros. USA. The difference between the naming conventions in Japan and those outside Japan was an interesting development.

For clarity, names used in Japan are marked (J) while those used outside Japan are marked (U).

Super Mario Bros. was released worldwide. Super Mario Bros. 2 (J) was not released outside Japan at first, though, since it was considered too challenging for foreigners. Thus, a game originally named Doki Doki no Panic (J) was remade to become Super Mario Bros. 2 (U). Of course, when this game was re-released in Japan, it had to be renamed as Super Mario Bros. USA (J). And finally, Super Mario Bros. 3 was released worldwide. (Super Mario Bros. 2 (J) was eventually released in Super Mario All-Stars (U) as Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels.)

I'm not sure whether this was what you had meant in your post, but indeed, there were 4 Super Mario Bros. games. However, a return to the 2-D Mario world would be lovely to see.

While a mod of a game to make it platforming is hardly a platform game, those mods sounds really, really interesting. The idea of a platformer of any variety is enough to be rather intriguing. Hopefully, the mod crowd will include a few Mario/Sonic veterans who will be able to create a fascinating, original platformer. I look forward to trying some mods out as soon as I'm able to get a copy of Half-Life 2.

Almost enough to convince the admins here to open a platforming board</kidding> ^_~

There are still 2d platform-esque games, but for the most part they are all shooters. Check out Alien Hominid at http://www.alienhominid.com/ It is the console version of the flash game from http://www.newgrounds.com/ and is much easier, seeing as you can start from whatever level you lost on. Also, another sidescrolling shooter, while not as good, in my opinion, is Neo Contra. It just didn't have the cartoony feel of AH. Also, Alien Hominid is 100% hand drawn and animated. Not bad for a $30 independant company game. Along the lines of mario-esque platformers? Buy a super nintendo :rolleyes:... most of the major companies have long forsaken 2D as a usable viewpoint.

Thanks for the tip about shooter platformers; sounds like something that's worth a look when I get the time. I'm still playing around with MapleStory at the moment, but I'll remember that for when I need a break.

Along the lines of mario-esque platformers? Buy a super nintendo :rolleyes:... most of the major companies have long forsaken 2D as a usable viewpoint.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ouch, that's what I didn't want to hear :);; It's really too bad that there aren't many more of that type of game showing up recently. I do hear that there will be a game for Nintendo DS tentatively named New Super Mario Bros., though. Sadly, it looks like the home consoles just aren't 2-D friendly anymore. (And no, Super Smash Bros. in Adventure Mode isn't that much of a platformer, being part of another game, so that doesn't count for the purposes of this discussion.)

I can't help but think that there still is a market for a standalone, two-dimensional, console platform game. This would be expecially true if they smack the title of some established character on the box. The nostalgia factor alone would be enormous. Would anyone else among you care to buy such a game, if it were to exist?

Oh well, I shouldn't really complain that much. Super Mario 64 wasn't that bad at all. And if all goes badly, I can try my hand at some RPGs and other games. At least, that's the plan.

Thanks for the tip about shooter platformers; sounds like something that's worth a look when I get the time. I'm still playing around with MapleStory at the moment, but I'll remember that for when I need a break.

Ouch, that's what I didn't want to hear :rolleyes:;; It's really too bad that there aren't many more of that type of game showing up recently. I do hear that there will be a game for Nintendo DS tentatively named New Super Mario Bros., though. Sadly, it looks like the home consoles just aren't 2-D friendly anymore. (And no, Super Smash Bros. in Adventure Mode isn't that much of a platformer, being part of another game, so that doesn't count for the purposes of this discussion.)

I can't help but think that there still is a market for a standalone, two-dimensional, console platform game. This would be expecially true if they smack the title of some established character on the box. The nostalgia factor alone would be enormous. Would anyone else among you care to buy such a game, if it were to exist?

Oh well, I shouldn't really complain that much. Super Mario 64 wasn't that bad at all. And if all goes badly, I can try my hand at some RPGs and other games. At least, that's the plan.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DS Mario will most likely be good since they have all of the old 2d animators and everyone who worked on the first 4 ^^ Marios. Atleaced I hope it will be good. Have you heard about Nintendo's project "Revolution"? You should search it, there are some Really cool insights about what it is going to be like (Not to mention it's Nintendo and it will be innovative and cheap :) which means I'm buying it) its sopposed to use new Gyroscope technology with their controllers which lets you controll where you are looking by moving the controller up and down which might be kind of difficult but it will kick for FPS games.

Well, now that E3 has come and gone, yes, I have definately heard of Revolution. We can only assume that Miyamoto will eventually create another Mario game to dazzle us. Unfortunately, Miyamoto seems to be spending more and more time on his other pet projects, such as the recently released Nintendogs. While such other games are wonderful, I would still like to see a nice, traditional 2-D Mario game. I hope those gyroscopic controllers don't replace the simplicity of having a button for run and a button for jump.I can't complain completely though--the Revolution will be backwards-compatible down to the Nintendo Entertainment System, that thing from way long ago. Far be it from me to complain that a game isn't as good as "Super Mario Bros. 3" or such, when I can download the classic and relive it any time I want.

My favourite is Super Mario World 3, I have a video of a guy who finishes the game without dieing once and with 99 lives.I don't think platformers are dead, they just moved from the commercial scene to the amature scene, check the Game Maker community for some platformers of varying qualities.Some, Like your truely, are even selling their platformers, my game is called Captain Genia and is close to being published in europe.

haven't you've heard about "new super mario bros."? it's a 3d sidescrolling platform game. it's gonna be on the DS.i hope it'l contain some of the old levels as bonusses or something

As a Child I always loved playing The Mario game :wub: . Specially I loved it when Mario used to jump over the tortoise to save his life and go over the brick walls or over the clouds and into the pipes earning gold coins and moving ahead. It was so much fun ;)^_^