xisto Community
jedipi

Applications In Linux for new linux user

* Multi media:1)divx:mplayer2)rm:realplayer10 for linux, mplayer3)mp3: xmms,beep media player, mplayer4)ape: xmms+monkey's audio plugin(http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/)5)other format (wma, wmv, mkv, quicktime): mplayer* document1)MS office doc: openoffice, starsuite2)read pdf:xpdf, acroread for linux, ggv3)read ps: gsview, ggv, kghostview4)chm: archmage,chmsee, Xchm,chmviewer5)mht: ripmime,firefox+MAF插件6)drawing: dia* compression.rar: rar for linux or unrar.zip: unzip.bz2: bunzip2.tar/.tgz: tar.jar/.xpi: ark* BBS:qterm, {rxvt,xterm,gnome-terminal,...}+BBSbot* IM:MSN,icq,yahoo: Gaim* web browser:mozilla-firefox, mozilla, opera* ftp client (GUI) :gftp, Iglooftp-1.23* ftp client : lftp, ncftp* ftp server: pureftpd, proftpd, vsftpd* http download: wget, curl, prozilla, d4x* bt: bittorrent, azureus(GUI)* email client (GUI):thunderbird, sylpheed, evolution, opera M2* email client: mutt, pine, gnus* RSS:liferea* Editor vim, emacs, jedit, hexedit, ghex, mc* picture: gImageView, gqview* image: gimp, ImageMagick* sound: audacity* science: matlab, octave* graph: gnuplot, metapost* cross plafrom1) linux in win: cygwin, virtual-pc, colinux2) win in linux: win4lin3) cross plafrom: vmware, bochs4) win program in linux: wine, winex, crossover office

This will indeed get me off to a good start after I've made out my installation disks. I'll probably head back to add a few apps that I frequently use too.. there's one question I'd like answered.. when installing applications under Linux.. is it an automated process like in Windows or does one have to run commands and follow defined procedures with a bit of coding to get applications to work.. Also.. I've read that there a bunch of applications that come in bare code that needs to be configured and compiled before it can be used on a machine running Linux.. especially those available under GPL.. Is there some sort of compiling engine within various Linux releases or does one have to go about somehow making the code executable.. This looks like its going to be exciting times ahead.. well adventurous any how.. If you've information that will point me in the right direction.. I'd really appreciate the hand holding.. Now to back-up and burn all the data on my computer..

Not really - those compiling before run days have long gone - and most of the linux appz nowadays come with both pre-compiled binaries as well as RPM packages (which you can in a way call the Linux version of Windows Installers) - so your graphical appz are likely to be installed on their own and appropriate shortcuts created, when you double-click a RPM file using one of the X-windows File Explorers.

Also for most applications that you have to compile yourself - gcc (The GNU C Compiler for Linux) is sufficient to see you through. Most of the better linux distros contain gcc version 3.x - which is how it should be. Also the need-to-be-compiled packaged come with 2-3 pre-configured scripts & make files. In a well done app, you can compile and install in 3 short steps.

Supposing you download the source files in a gzipped tarball file (identified by the extension, .tar.gz) - lets take an example of mysql. Here are the steps needed to compile and install it:

CONSOLE

shell> tar zxvf mysql-4.x.tar.gz

..... this is where the file is unzipped into a directory like mysql-4.x

shell> cd mysql-4.x

shell> ./configure

......... this is where various pre-compile options are set up. configure is a script that accompanies most well-designed packages

shell> make

........ this step fires off GCC and compiles the program. Takes a while.

shell> make install

......... this step actually installs it into a directory specified by you. For information on how to specify destination directories, refer to the README/TODO/INSTALL files that accompany most packages.

That's it - that'll all you need. Don't think it looks complicated at all, eh :rolleyes: ?

Excellent.. like wow. you actually made it sound so easy.. gives me a great confidence boost.. As of now - the JigDo app which I'm using to get ahold of the Debian Distro has downloaded 1.3 GB of data - that's nearly 2 CD's full.. and its taken about 24 hours to get this far.. so my take on it is that I'll be looking at about 5 days of continous downloading to get the entire package. Once its all done.. hell - I'm definately going to go through a nervous phase.. will then install it. What I'm most worried about is not being able to install after I've formatted my HDD.. that'l really take the cake.. then I'll probably have to go out and get myself (buy) a distribution from a vendor.. but fingers crossed.. hoping for the best.. R.A.

how to install an application in the linux?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

there is no one answer, except whichever way suits you best.

Some like binary methods like RPM, slackware-packages, APT-GET, Yum, Potrs, Debian packages.

some like to compile from source, with tools like ports, or portage emerge.

and some like to just compile from source manually.

it all depends on your personal preferance, and distribution.

Yea..there are so many way to install software in linux.in the above post,microscopic^earthling have give the process of installin softeware form source.different distribution has different install package.I alway use RPM and source since I use RedHat distribution.RPM stand for RedHat Package Manager. It is very simple to use.All you need to do is remember a few parameters of rpm command:For example: #>rpm [options] filename.rpmthe following are some usefule options:-i: install-e: uninstall-q:query about the installed software-U: upgradeE.G. when you install filename.rpm, you can use:

CONSOLE
#>rpm -i filename.rpm
you don;t need to worry about where it is installed to, and how it was done.RPM can manages that.That's how to install a RPM package from console mode.in X windows environment, just simply double click on the package..... :(

I use slackware, and the slackware packages i've had better luck with than RPM...RPM only works right in RedHat, really...or at least that's been my experience. I prefer to normally just complie from source..lets you tweak things up a little bit, optimisation for your procesor, etc..

I don't understand the point of you listing all these programs, but I guess it could be helpfull... To someone... The only thing I'll be looking into is the nix2win.

I just saw this page through one of my RSS newsreaders... It's a very complete and extensive list of linux applications that are in a way replacements of typical windows applications, and is a list to help switchers who are from Windows background thinking about switching to Linux. It's really cool, I would use it if I ever switch to Linux. They even have non-english versions of the list!