xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Giniu

Linux: Would It Be Worth Moving Toward Gcc 4.0?

yep, take a look at the change-log

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.0/changes.html

Its exam time for me, so i wont be able to tinker with gcc till this summer kicks in....
and even then i will be spening most time marking english asa foreign language exam papers from france...

then when i get paid for that, im off to amsterdam on holliday :P:D:D

gcc-4.0 beta is in the portage tree, so maybe i could have a play with that in a seperate chroot envoronment.

:( DAMN.... I paniced when saw info that there is troubles compiling kernel... don't think it is ready to be base for compilation of whole distribution...

not only the kernel, it seems KDE will not compile under gcc-4.looks like we will have to wait untill all the major applications have been ported to the new gcc before it makes an apearance in home desktop distro's

Here's a slashdot article that has a review of GCC 4.0. It compares filesizes and compile times of several different programs. It looks like in some areas it's a pretty big improvement but in others gcc 3.4 wins.

Im last few days I found that also Open Office isn't compiling - this is too much for me... must wait :)