xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hbr

New Site Of Mine Some questions

I'm a huge huge music fan, and decided my next project (now that I have catalogued my 1000 or so albums) should be to set up a music website. After much deliberation I decided to set one up, containing album track listings, titbits or useful(less) information, cd covers, links to artists websites, etc. My thought is, I can list over 1000 albums (getting the info from my own collection), so do I categorise them and put a lot on one page, with a linking menu at the top, or do I give each one its own page? I'm thinking 1000 or so pages would take up an awful lot of space! If I categorise them should I do it be genre, alphabetically or by year of release? Maybe I should do it be all three and that way people can search for stuff in whichever way they like. Anyways, enough waffling, please let me know what you think - about the idea for the site as well as the layout and format I have mentioned. Thanks peeps! :rolleyes:

Instead of storing all that data into some flat file - use the MySQL Databases provided to you at this host. That way you'll be able to neatly categorize them and spit out catalogues depending on whatever criteria you specify - by genre, by year of release, alphabetical order - whichever. Use a combination of MySQL and PHP to achieve this - can be done in few simple steps. :rolleyes:

All the best.

P.S. If you need information on howto break up your data in the database in order to avoid redundancy or associate all the attributes with each of the albums, make another post in the Database forum and we'd be happy to help you out.

Bit of a newbie me, hadn't though of doing it in a database. I think I like the idea of posting each entry seperately on a page more - even though I know it is a massive task and lots of work for no reward!

That would kill you, believe me... lol.. it'd involve massive amount of rewriting of the same stuff - besides it would be extremely hard to categorize the same album under different topics or attributes. Give it a try - make a post in the Database section and you'd surely receive some guidelines to get you started. :rolleyes:

What might be a good idea is put them on one page and catagorize them by gener, but within the gener list alphabatize themMaybe like. Rock 1)Rock Band A Rock Band A song one Rock Band A song two 2)Rock Band B Rock Band B song one Rock Band B song twoect